If you are interested in Therapeutic Recreation/Child Life, please join us for a special educational session: TR/CL 101.
Note: This page has been recently updated. Please be mindful of new information.
All applicants must be enrolled in a college/university/academic program and receiving credit hours for the internship.
Contract between the hospital and school will need to be negotiated prior to start of internship. School must supply worker's compensation and general liability insurance for student activities and education. Student or school must provide proof of professional liability insurance.
As professionals responsible for training and advancing candidates into the fields of Therapeutic Recreation and Child Life (TR/CL), we want to select students who are most motivated and committed to these professions. Specifically, we are looking for interns who are educationally well prepared to work with pediatric patients and their families. Having classes, for example, in child/human development, psychology, family relations, cultural diversity, and the hospitalized/handicapped child are especially useful. Additionally, we give strong preference to applicants who have significant experience working with children, ideally in a healthcare setting.
While completing internships at Children's Hospital Colorado, TR/CL students are able to take advantage of a variety of amenities. These include free parking, employee discounts at the hospital cafeteria, shared office space including computer and email access, free continuing education opportunities, concierge services and pager. TR/CL interns also have access to Children's Hospital Colorado Medical Library, Family Resource Center and to the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center Medical Library.
Description of Internship Program
Spring Internship (January - April)
- Applications must be postmarked by September 5
- Applicants will be notified of application status by October 22
- Internship will begin the 3rd Monday in January
Fall Internship (August - November)
- Applications must be postmarked by May 5
- Applicants will be notified of application status by June 22
- Internship will begin the 3rd Monday in August
The application consists of the following pieces:
All interns must provide the following information with their application:
- An official transcript from each university/college you have attended
- A copy of your current resume
- One letter of recommendation from your academic advisor. This letter should also include the statement "As the academic advisor, I have received information on the contract from this applicant and am willing to advocate for university support to reach agreement on the contract."
- One letter of recommendation from a college/university professor
- One letter of recommendation from an individual (other than relatives or friends) familiar with your work with children/families.
- Child Life Course Verification Form
- A typed response to the following:
1. A professional statement explaining why you are exploring an internship at Children's Hospital Colorado.
2. A brief statement articulating your definition of Therapeutic Recreation/Child Life and the importance of the role in a pediatric setting.
3. Please list five goals and objectives you expect to accomplish during your internship.
Note: Applications will not be returned.
Before Arriving for Internship
Please note that there are requirements that must be completed at least one week prior to your internship. Before applying, please review these expectations and decide if you can successfully complete them.
Only completed application packets will be reviewed. Please do not send your packet in different pieces; complete all parts before sending. Submit your packet to:
Attn: Amanda Honeyman, MS, CCLS
Children's Hospital Colorado
Therapeutic Recreation/Child Life Department
13123 East 16th Avenue
Aurora, CO 80045
If you need further information, please feel free to contact:
Amanda Honeyman, MS, CCLS
TR/CL Internship Coordinator