Project SEARCH is an innovative school-to-work transition program for high school students with developmental disabilities. The program is dedicated to workforce development that benefits the individual, community and workplace.
Children’s Hospital Colorado serves as the host business providing opportunities for students to learn workplace skills and emerge from the program ready for employment.
To be eligible to apply to Project SEARCH students must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Currently enrolled in a local high school special education program or transition program
- Nearing their last year(s) of school services
- Completed graduation requirements but deferred diploma
- Have a strong desire to work
- Are comfortable working in a healthcare setting
- Qualify for services through the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and their local Community Center Board (CCB)
- Willing to travel to and from the program independently (public transportation, Access-a-Ride, carpooling, etc)
Download the applications for the upcoming school year:
Project SEARCH at Children’s Hospital Colorado has received national attention
In 2011, the 5th Annual Project SEARCH Conference in Minneapolis recognized the program for attaining an 80 percent employment outcome for graduates of the 2009-2010 school year.
Genail Lemon, Project SEARCH graduate and now Children’s Hospital employee, received the 2011 Outstanding Employee award through COAPSE (Colorado Association for Persons in Supported Employment)
With support from Jim Shmerling, president and CEO, as well as hospital leadership and staff, Project SEARCH at Children’s Hospital Colorado welcomed its first class of students in 2009, adopting the national Project SEARCH model created in1996 by Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and Medical Center in Cincinnati Ohio.
- Read about Tim, a young adult with Down syndrome who found employment at Children’s Colorado with the help of Project SEARCH.
For more information, call the Project SEARCH office at Children’s Hospital Colorado at (720) 777-8027.