Our healing hospital for kids
The hospital on Anschutz Medical Campus is an amazing blend of art, design and state-of-the-art technology.Every detail -- from layout to patient flow, design to decor, landscaping to color schemes -- was built to help kids heal faster, based off data from evidence-based design. Should you need us, we will provide you and your child with outstanding pediatric care at our hospital.
Our hospital is the cornerstone of our growing network of pediatric health-care services. It is located on 48 acres at the juncture of I-225 and Colfax on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado, at the eastern edge of the Denver metro area. Visit our interactive campus map to learn more
Our hospital is adjacent to The University of Colorado Hospital and School of Medicine. The University is home to world-class education and research facilities and doctors from the prestigious Department of Pediatrics. This means our doctors and your children have access to some of the best minds, hands and hearts in pediatrics from across the country.
A stay in the hospital can be frightening for kids, and they're often comforted by only one thing: their families. This is why we've incorporated family-style conveniences in every aspect of our hospital. From private patient rooms to expanded sibling child care, our hospital makes your visit easier on you and your child. Helpful features include:
- Private rooms with full-size pull-out beds and ample storage easily accommodate two family members overnight
- A private bathroom, complete with a shower and some with tubs for bathing small children
- All rooms feature flat-screens TVs, video on-demand and Internet access to help ease boredom and keep your child’s mind engaged in fun activities while they’re here
- The Family Hospitality Suite features additional sleep rooms, washers and dryers and a kitchenette. Because rest and eating well are important for families as well as patients
- A "room service" menu features plenty of healthy and fun meal and snack choices to make sure kids and parents eat well during their stay
- Playrooms on every floor that help kids heal and get back to the business of being a kid
- Respite areas for a chance to relax
- A Wellness Center to help keep everyone healthy and well-balanced during a trying time
- The Creative Play Center provides daycare for siblings
- The one-of-a-kind Teen Lounge provides a place for teens to connect with friends, hang out, read or just enjoy a movie on the big-screen
- Our Family Health Library empowers the family with information about their loved one’s illness so you can be better prepared to help you child heal
- Outside areas and gardens provide access to the outdoors, which scientific studies show is important in the healing process
- A chapel for moments of peace and tranquility
- Vibrant art everywhere to engage children in the fun of discovery and to act as a positive distraction
"When designing the new hospital, we recognized the role the actual building would play in the healing processes of patients, and we created a facility to maximize healing," said Sharron van der Meulen, interior designer and principle with Zimmer, Gunsel and Frasca Architects, LLP.
Using evidence-based design principles, Children's Hospital Colorado has taken the latest research on the healing process and incorporated the findings throughout the hospital. For example,
- Quiet – Recent studies suggest that a quiet environment can reduce patient recovery time. To reduce noise, the hospital features sound-absorbing floors and ceilings, quieter private patient rooms and no overhead paging.
- Natural Light – Studies show that exposure to natural light reduces depression, length of stay and the intake of pain medication. The hospital features skylights and windows, allowing natural light throughout the building and panoramic views of the beautiful Colorado landscape.
- Art – Art throughout the hospital promotes a healthy, healing and uplifting environment. Discovering playful and hidden elements in the art provides a stress-relieving distraction for kids and families. Read more about our art collection.
- State-of-the-Art Technology – The hospital features the most technologically advanced equipment to help kids heal faster. Some equipment is obvious to patients, like flat-screen TVs and Internet access in every room. Behind-the-scenes tools include new diagnostic imaging equipment that shortens wait times and increases accurate results and high-tech security to ensure patient safety. Children’s was also the first pediatric hospital in the country to use Electronic Medical Records, which leads to faster diagnosis and better treatment for kids.
- Color Therapy – Research shows that certain colors can aid in healing. For instance, blue is relaxing and has one of the most powerful healing effects on children. Green increases compassion and has a calming effect. Red strengthens energy and will. This knowledge guided color choices throughout the hospital.
Every detail of the hospital was designed to help kids heal and get home faster.
Still serving kids and families in downtown Denver
Children's Hospital Colorado remains committed to families who live close to downtown Denver. Children's Hospital Colorado at Saint Joseph Hospital, Denver opened in the fall of 2007. It is located at the corner of 18th Avenue and Franklin Street. Just look for the Balloon Boy decals on the windows.
Offering Children's Colorado's expertise in emergency care, specialty care and inpatient hospital care, this location is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is staffed by pediatricians, family practitioners, nurses and support staff credentialed by Children's Hospital Colorado. So you can get the same great care you’ve come to trust from us, right downtown.
With many locations across the Front Range, no matter where you are, you’re surrounded with care by Children's Hospital Colorado.