Children's Hospital Colorado supports nursing mothers, and has been recognized by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment with the Silver award for supporting breastfeeding mothers. One of our Lactation Specialists can meet with mothers of inpatients for an initial assessment to ensure you have the information and equipment you need. Additional follow up is provided as needed, and all services are free of charge.
Ten Lactation Rooms for pumping or breastfeeding are located throughout the hospital. Mothers have the option of expressing breast milk in their child's room or using one of the Lactation Rooms. Medela Symphony and Lactina electric breast pumps will be available in each room.
· 1st Floor: adjacent to the Special Care and Child Health Clinics In the Outpatient Pavilion
· 2nd Floor: adjacent to the south end of the Ponzio Surgery Center reception area
· 3rd Floor: in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
· 4th Floor: four lactation rooms in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
· 6th Floor: patient tower west
· 8th Floor: patient tower west
Mother's Milk Lab
The NICU has a state-of-the-art Mother's Milk Lab, for storage of expressed breast milk, located adjacent to the entrance of the unit. Breast pump rentals are available here. Mothers will drop off their expressed milk when they visit, and their milk will be prepared daily and distributed to the bedside nurse for their child's feedings. All other units and ambulatory settings will have designated breastmilk refrigerators and or freezers to store breast milk.
Call (720)777-1234 and ask for the Mother's Milk Lab for hours and questions.