Specialized Programs – Bone Marrow Transplant
Pediatric physicians with specialized expertise in hematopoietic stem cell transplant plus additional training in oncology, hematology and immunology, provide services essential for successful transplantation. Staff members of Clinical Social Work, Therapeutic Recreation/Child Life and Financial Counseling are readily available to assist families. Subspecialty consultation/management expertise is promptly available 24 hours per day.
Children's Hospital Colorado Pediatric BMT Program offers state-of-the-art clinical research trials which originate from local, national and international BMT investigators. The program actively collaborates with the Children's Oncology Group (COG), the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Consortium (PBMTC), the BMT Clinical Trials Network (BMT-CTN) and the International BMT Registry (IBMTR). Active studies aim to reduce the risk of leukemic relapse, improve donor cell engraftment and more effectively treat infectious complications.
Colorado's only FACT-certified pediatric bone marrow transplant program
Children's Hospital Colorado offers the only pediatric bone marrow transplant program in Colorado certified by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT). FACT is a non-profit corporation co-founded by the International Society for Cellular Therapy and the American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation for the purposes of voluntary inspection and accreditation in the field of cellular therapy.
First granted in 2001 and renewed in 2004, 2008, and 2011, the certification is based on patient volumes, qualified staff, suitable facilities and having an elaborate and effective quality assurance program that meets current FACT standards.
This accreditation means our bone marrow transplant team has been consistently recognized through national peer review for high-quality patient care and laboratory performance. It's another reason your child is in good hands at Children's Hospital Colorado.
See how our BMT survival rates compare to other centers around the world.
Clinical services and programs
- BMT-trained pediatric physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- Board-certified pediatricians and pediatric hematologists/oncologists
- Consultation, evaluation, treatment and follow-up
- HEPA-filtered, positive pressure inpatient Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) unit
- Dedicated, BMT-trained nursing staff
- BMT-specific outpatient team and clinic services
- Stem cell processing laboratory on site
- Technology to procure and process stem cells from marrow, peripheral blood and cord blood
- Availability of both autologous and allogeneic transplant methods and expertise
- Numerous state-of-the-art local and national clinical trials in pediatric hematopoietic stem cell transplant
- Access to all unrelated donor registries (NMDP, Caitlin Raymond International, Cord Blood)
- Children’s Oncology Group (COG) Transplant Center
- National Marrow Donor Program Transplant Center
- Insurance liaison to assist physicians and families with financial approval
- Multidisciplinary approach including transplant physicians and nurses, social workers and child psychology support, pediatric radiotherapy experts and in-house consultation from all pediatric medical, surgical and diagnostic subspecialties
- Treatment of patients from birth to 25 years of age
- Established contracts for transplant care with numerous insurers