Neuropsychiatric Special Care (NSC) Program
The Neuropsychiatric Special Care (NSC) Program provides short-term inpatient and intensive day treatment care for children and adolescents with an autism spectrum disorder and/or an intellectual disability ages four through 17 years with co-morbid conditions (medical and/or psychiatric).
Our five-pronged approach involves:
- Behavioral/Communication treatment interventions utilizing the TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic and Related Communication Handicapped Children) philosophy. This philosophy is based on structuring the environment to maximize your child's understanding and independent functioning, thereby decreasing undesirable behaviors.
- Psychotherapeutic interventionsand evaluations to teach safe expression of emotions, academic and pre-vocational skills, independent leisure and self-care skills, and important social behaviors. These interventions include individual and group therapy, special education, speech and occupational therapy, and music, art, yoga, and movement therapy.
- Careful medication adjustments as necessary to enhance the individual’s learning opportunities by helping to reduce overwhelming issues including anxiety, irritability, obsessions and compulsions, aggression, and self injury. Of course, the complete understanding and cooperation of parents is obtained before any change is made.
- Medical evaluations to ensure that physical problems, including experience of pain, are not contributing to behavioral issues. Evaluations may include laboratory and other diagnostic tests and medical consultations with recommendations.
- Teach effective intervention methods to families and community service providers, including schools, to promote smooth transitions from the hospital setting back into the community. The intervention plan is tailored to your child's specific needs, rather than a "cookie-cutter" approach.
Because we are hospital-based, we draw on experts from many disciplines:
- Clinical Director: Psychologist with extensive expertise in autism and related disorders
- Medical Director: Psychiatrist with extensive experience treating pediatric psychiatric disorders
- Pediatrician: Expert in developmental pediatrics.
- Social Worker: Experienced in working with community agencies to obtain support for your child and family.
- Our direct care staff includes a nurse and mental health counselors with specialized training in the treatment of children with autism spectrum disorders and other developmental disabilities.
- We also have the consulting services of speech/language therapists, special education teachers, occupational therapists, art, music, yoga, and dance therapists.
- We want our children to have the richest and fullest life possible.
- We capitalize on the strengths of the child, not their disabilities.
- We believe that treatment is only effective if it can be transferred to home and school.
For more information about the NSC program, please call (720) 777-3191.