Lab Tests at Children's Hospital Colorado
Laboratory testing, such as
blood, sweat and glucose
tolerance tests, can provide a
closer look at the body's
functions and processes.
There can be a number of reasons why your doctor has requested your child have lab work performed. Sometimes a simple physical exam can result in a diagnosis, but the body is very complex. It sometimes does not reveal all the information a doctor may need to make an accurate diagnosis. Laboratory testing can provide a closer look at the functions and processes that occur within the body and can help to narrow a diagnosis or monitor the effectiveness of your child’s treatment plan.
Why Choose Children's Hospital Colorado for Lab Tests
While Children's Hospital Colorado is recognized as a center of excellence for lab services at institutional, local, regional and national levels, this is not the only reason to choose Children’s. Children's Hospital Colorado Outpatient Laboratory Staff specializes in pediatric blood draws and works to make pediatric patients as comfortable as possible. The staff has extensive training in pediatric phlebotomy and communicates with the child according to their age while also understanding their fears and empathizing with their parents. This pediatric focus on blood draws allows our staff to minimize the trauma a child might experience by having blood drawn in an adult facility.
The test analyzer equipment used at Children's Hospital Colorado is chosen based on its ability to receive the best results from the smallest size sample of blood. Therefore, on a large number of tests, we can do a simple finger or heel stick to obtain a sample. When a venipuncture is necessary, the Outpatient Laboratory exclusively uses the Butterfly needle, which is smallest and most comfortable needle available. Everything we do is centered on what's best for kids. Learn more about why Children's Hospital Colorado is the best choice for lab tests.
Children's Hospital Colorado Outpatient Lab provides services for children who live locally and regionally. The most common laboratory tests administered by the Outpatient Laboratory include blood draws, and sweat and glucose tolerance tests. Children's Hospital Colorado offers consistent Outpatient Lab services at two locations:
Children's Hospital Colorado Blood Donor Center
Children's Hospital Colorado onsite Blood Donor Center provides for the special blood product needs of our patients. The Donors provide whole blood, platelets, and plasma for the many procedures performed at Children's Hospital Colorado. Our Blood Donor Center supports the many therapeutic procedures performed at the hospital, such as Photophoresis, Therapeutic Apheresis and bone marrow stem cell collections.
Pathology and Laboratory Services
The Department of Pathology/Laboratory Services provides around the clock anatomic pathology and clinical laboratory services. The Department of Pathology/Laboratory Services also provides reference services to local, state and national institutions and laboratories. The laboratory is staffed with highly skilled technical personnel and utilizes the most current and reputable technologies for testing. Children's Hospital Colorado Department of Pathology/ Laboratory Services include:
- Molecular Diagnostics: The molecular diagnostic laboratory is a full service laboratory providing efficient, routine testing, as well as complex analysis in oncology and bone marrow transplant, genetics and infectious disease. This laboratory is utilized to support multiple disciplines and to serve as a development area for molecular testing.
- Electron Microscopy: The electron microscopy laboratory, striving always to deliver results of maximal quality within a minimal timeframe, offers a full range of ultra structural diagnostic services for both pediatric and adult patients. In existence for nearly four decades, this laboratory has gained an international reputation for excellence.
- Clinical Chemistry: provides routine chemistry, special chemistry, including selective immunology and endocrinology with automated instrumentation; allergy testing is also available.
- Hematology/Coagulation/ Flow Cytometry: Children's Hospital Colorado Hematology/Coagulation laboratory offers a comprehensive test menu. The broad and diverse number of procedures available is commensurate with a tertiary care center. With the inclusion of advanced flow cytometry techniques such as T, B, and NK immunophenotyping, stem cell analysis (CD34) on apheresis, bone marrow and cord blood collections; state-of-the art testing is available 24/7. Expert professional and technical staff is available for assistance with complex diagnostic work-ups.
- Microbiology/Virology: Children's Hospital Colorado Microbiology laboratory encompasses the disciplines of Bacteriology, Parasitology, Mycology and Virology. The microbiology Lab performs culture, antigen detection methods, and serology for organisms in all of these areas. Qualitative and quantitative molecular assays developed in conjunction with the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory are also available and used for the detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Bordetella pertussis, HSV, human metapneumovirus, and enterovirus.
- Transfusion Medicine: The Transfusion Medicine Service includes both a Blood Bank and a Donor Center. These on-campus facilities provide virtually all blood and blood products, including apheresis platelets and granulocytes, to the patients seen at Children's Hospital Colorado. In addition, a mobile donor program supplements blood and blood product inventory. Blood product filtration for leukocyte reduction, irradiation of products and CMV testing are also accomplished on-site. Stem cells are collected in support of transplant programs, and therapeutic apheresis is available for all services 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
- Client Services Call Center: Our Client Services Call Center is 100% service driven, utilizing the highest quality service representatives to support our clients needs. Incoming calls from established and potential clients as well as outgoing communications regarding specimen collection, results, billing, and other situations are routed through the laboratories Client Services Call Center. The Client Services team is responsible for the most visible aspect of The Department of Pathology—communicating with customers, physicians, and laboratories via telephone and email.