The Aerodigestive Program is dedicated to providing comprehensive, state-of-the-art treatment and services for children with complex airway, respiratory and gastrointestinal tract disorders. We are dedicated to finding the right answers and treatment.
Why choose the Aerodigestive Program at Children’s Hospital Colorado?
The Aerodigestive Program at Children's Hospital Colorado is the one of the most complete multidisciplinary programs in the United States.
The team is dedicated to the comprehensive management of children with complex airway and digestive tract disorders. This is critical for finding the right, timely answers in the safest way. We treat only children all day, everyday – making us experts when it comes to caring for kids.
Our patients' families are considered essential partners of the healthcare team and are encouraged to participate in planning their child’s treatment course. This family-centered care approach allows for greater efficiency in scheduling visits and procedures.
In addition, family-centered care provides the opportunity for improved patient and family education, which can help improve the overall patient experience and outcome.
Read about one family's experience with the Aerodigestive Program.
Meet the Aerodigestive team
Our core team consists of devoted and highly-skilled physicians, nurses and other health care professionals from the following departments in our hospital:
Specific conditions treated
The Aerodigestive Program focuses on the care of complex disorders of the aerodigestive tract, which includes the organs and tissues of the respiratory tract and the upper part of the digestive tract. Examples of commonly seen conditions include:
- Laryngeal and tracheal stenosis (airways too small and narrow)
- Tracheostomy dependence
- Vocal cord paralysis
- Aspiration, choking when eating, and other disorders of swallowing
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease with breathing problems
- Congenital esophageal disorders with airway or breathing problems (e.g. TEF: tracheoesophageal fistula)
- CHARGE syndrome and other conditions that affect neurologic and muscular control
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia and premature lung disease with other issues
- Chronic lung disease with other issues
- Noisy breathing
- Breathing problems with concerns for reflux or aspiration
- Airway abnormalities to include stenosis, laryngo (narrowing) or tracheomalacia (floppy airways)
- Laryngeal cleft
- Persistent wheezing
In addition to the services our dedicated Aerodigestive team offers, we partner with other departments in the hospital to ensure your child is receiving the best well-rounded care. When you bring your child to us for a visit, you can expect the following:
- A comprehensive same-day visit with the Breathing Institute, ENT and Digestive Health Institute, as well as the Swallowing team
- Excellent patient and family education
- Condensed evaluations and limited sedation for procedures with answers possible in 48 hours
- Coordinated communication with your primary care physicians
- A focus on quality outcomes for patients with complex health problems
Our team is dedicated to finding answers
In an attempt to provide better outcomes and more efficient and less costly care, the program has numerous research projects to evaluate the success and outcomes of treatments. Such projects currently include: evaluating the results and impacts our procedural testing has on our patients, evaluating the flow of the operating room for multidisciplinary procedures and developing new and safer endoscopic procedural techniques.
Learn more about research at the Digestive Health Institute.