Specially trained dietitians from the Clinical Nutrition Department support the Digestive Health Institute and provide nutrition care to children with various gastrointestinal and liver problems and diseases.
Our team realizes that children with gastrointestinal and liver diseases have special nutrition needs, and for that reason, we aim to ensure adequate delivery of micro- and macronutrients to support optimal growth and development.
During your hospital visit, a registered dietitian supports patients and families seen both in our outpatient clinics and inpatient services.
We also offer individualized appointments with a dietitian for children with gastrointestinal and liver problems and disease. (Note: It is important to speak with your gastroenterologist or hepatologist to see if a nutrition referral is indicated).
What makes our clinical nutrition services unique?
We are trusted experts who are dedicated to providing excellent nutrition care for children not only through our clinical expertise, but also through advocacy, collaboration, education and innovation. We act as advocates to ensure that our patients are provided with the best individualized nutrition plan. Our dietitians work closely together as well as with a multidisciplinary team to ensure consistent care and communication across our teams and Children’s Colorado locations. Our dietitians are also involved in many quality improvement initiatives to continue to improve the nutrition care for our Digestive Health Institute patients.
In addition, we frequently provide education and training in clinical nutrition to medical residents, fellows, dietetic interns, community providers, dietitians and other care providers.
Our dietitians are active in clinical research
Current research projects include:
- Examining the impact of enteral nutrition therapy for inflammatory bowel disease
- Pureed food by G-tube diets
- How often feeding and nutrition deficiencies occur in eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease
- Determining the best method to manage parenteral nutrition
Specific conditions treated
Within our dietitian team, we provide expertise in various areas of digestive health, including:
- Individualized nutrition assessment and intervention based on best practice guidelines
- Nutrition therapy monitoring, evaluation and follow-up
- Enteral and parenteral nutrition therapy and laboratory monitoring
- Individualized feeding plans and special diets
- Food intake record analysis
- Anthropometric measures and analysis
- Special diet education and classes