About the Department of Pediatric Ophthalmology at Children’s Hospital Colorado
The Department of Pediatric Ophthalmology at Children's Hospital Colorado serves as the center for the diagnosis and treatment of complex childhood eye disorders and eye trauma for the Rocky Mountain Front Range region.
The multi-disciplinary approach to care at Children's Hospital Colorado means that pediatric eye specialists are able to easily access and consult with experts throughout the hospital to ensure children with multiple or contributing medical conditions receive the best care possible. Our ophthalmology team collaborates with one of the region’s best-equipped and staffed Newborn Intensive Care Units, the region’s top pediatric neurosurgeons, nationally recognized oncologists and a wide range of medical specialties to provide the best children’s vision care.
Reinforced by the hospital’s affiliation with the University of Colorado School of Medicine, education and research are integrated into clinical care. Parent and patient education, as well as instruction of future eye doctors, is incorporated seamlessly into clinic visits.
Why choose Children’s Hospital Colorado for the treatment of eye conditions?
Diagnosing eye problems in children is not an easy task. Even parents, who are familiar with their child’s behavior and developmental skills, can miss the subtle signs of eye problems. Because early detection of eye problems can make a critical difference in a child’s vision and also impact their learning and development, it is important that children who are suspected to have a sight problem are seen by pediatric specialists.
At Children's Hospital Colorado, we treat only children and teens. We know how to get and keep a kid's attention during eye exams and how to put nervous parents at ease. This can make a big difference in diagnosing and treating your child.
Our certified orthoptists diagnose and help treat blurred vision, eye misalignments, double vision, far sightedness, nearsightedness and other correctable vision problems. We are in a kid friendly clinic setting, but we are hospital based, which allows us access to all of the services of one of the nation’s top tertiary care children’s specialty hospitals for those children who need it.
Specific eye conditions treated
We treat a variety of conditions, including:
- Eye misalignments (strabismus), blurred vision, far sightedness, nearsightedness, and other correctable vision problems
- Common disorders, such as pink eye (conjunctivitis) and styes (chalazion)
- Lazy eye (amblyopia)
- Eye tearing and infections
Read on for a full list of the eye conditions we treat.
We provide a variety of pediatric Ophthalmology and Optometry services, including
- Routine services, such as eye exams, second-opinion consultations, and diagnosis and treatment of common disorders such as pink eye (conjunctivitis) and styes (chalazion)
- Complicated and routine pediatric contact lens services through our Pediatric Optometry service
- Complete surgical care for pediatric eye conditions
- Diagnosis and treatment for adults with strabismus and double vision
- Access to subspecialty services and transplants is available through our affiliation with the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Bank and the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute (RMLEI). Subspecialty and transplant treatments may include oculoplastics treatments, cornea transplants, pediatric retina and tumor treatment, and pediatric glaucoma treatment