The Cardiac Kids group distributes the book "Cardiac Kids: Parents' Resource Guide and Journal" to patients who come to Children’s Hospital Colorado's Heart Institute. This book, created by Cardiac Kids volunteers, helps parents better navigate their child’s medical treatments. It also offers personal stories from other parents and children with congenital heart conditions.
Read an excerpt from the book to hear stories from other parents
Order the Cardiac Kids Parents’ Resource Guide and Journal
To order your own copy of the "Cardiac Kids Parents’ Resource Guide and Journal," please send a suggested donation of $28.50 to cover production and shipping costs to the address listed below.
Cardiac Kids Chapter
Association of Volunteers
Children’s Hospital Colorado, Box 465
13123 E. 16th Avenue
Aurora, CO 80045
Should you have any questions about the book or your order, please feel free to contact Cardiac Kids at (720) 777-6286.
Why the Cardiac Kids parents created this guide
This book was created for parents of a child newly diagnosed with a heart disorder by parents who have already been down this path. Being told your child has a heart disorder or heart disease is a very hard thing to hear. Now you are thrown into a new kind of parenting: you're an advocate, decision-maker and caretaker for a child with a serious health condition – something you never expected would happen to you.
This book was developed because the Cardiac Kids parents have already been down the path that you are on now, and we want to share some of the things – parent to parent – that we have learned along the way. It is our hope that your journey, while it will never be easy, will at least be eased with the insights that you will find in this book. Please know that you are not alone and that we are here to help you however we can.
Table of contents:
- Understanding Your Child's Diagnosis
- Making Sense of the World of Cardiology
- The Hospital Experience – Part One: What You Should Know
- Hospital Surgical Log Sheets
- The Hospital Experience – Part Two: Through the Eyes of Parents and Patients
- Going Home: Caring for Your Child at Home
- Your Child's Medical Journal
- Your Child's Medications
- Brothers and Sisters: Helping Them Cope
- Open Letters From Parents
- Glossaries of Heart Defects and Conditions, Cardiology Terms, Cath Lab and Surgical Procedures
- Blank Journals