The Liver Transplant Program at Children’s Colorado offers a unique and specialized program devoted to the care of children who require liver transplantation. Our unique multidisciplinary team cares for kids and families from the time of diagnosis to transplant and all the way through long-term post-transplant care.
We know that waiting isn’t easy
Our team understands the concerns and needs of families who are waiting for a transplant, and we strive to make the process as easy for you as possible. We coordinate with pediatricians and family doctors, referring gastroenterologists and insurance companies to address your child’s health needs both before and after transplant.
What disorders does Children’s Colorado treat with liver transplants?
There are a variety of indications for pediatric liver transplantation, including:
- Acute liver failure
- Alagille syndrome
- Alpha-1-Antitrypsin deficiency
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Biliary atresia
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Congenital hepatic fibrosis
- End stage liver disease
- Liver tumors: Hepatocellular carcinoma and hepatoblastoma
- Metabolic disorders: Urea cycle enzyme defects, methylmalonic academia and
- glycogen storage disease
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis
- Wilson disease
What to expect during your child’s visit to the Liver Transplant Program
The goal of your first visit is to assess the status of your child’s liver disease and to provide you with treatment options including, but not limited to pediatric liver transplantation. During the appointment, you and your child will see the following experts:
Why choose Children’s Colorado for your child’s liver transplant?
A nationally recognized Liver Transplantation Program
As a nationally recognized Pediatric Transplant Program, Children’s Colorado has the only complete pediatric-focused multi-specialty liver transplant program in the Rocky Mountain region. Our team includes transplant surgeons, transplant hepatologists, pediatric transplant anesthesiologists, pediatric interventional radiologists, infectious disease specialists, intensive care specialists, transplant coordinators and nurses, transplant pharmacy, psychologists, dietitians and social workers.
One of only a few pediatric-focused liver transplant centers in the country
We are one of a select few pediatric liver transplant programs in the country with seven board-certified pediatric transplant hepatologists holding certifications of advanced qualification in transplant hepatology. Your child will be cared for by these experts and leaders in the field of pediatric liver care and transplantation.
We offer multiple liver transplant options
Based on your child’s type and stage of liver disease, the following different types of transplants may be available:
Services we offer
- Liver transplant candidate evaluation
- A pediatric transplant nurse coordinator will help you navigate through the transplant process with ease
- Support from a social worker (as needed)
- Support from a psychologist who specializes in pediatric transplantation
- Financial counseling
- Laboratory testing
- Radiologic imaging
- Access to other pediatric medical specialties as needed
- Support groups, annual patient gatherings and directed family educational events