The following resources are available to patients, families and anyone interested in learning more about pediatric nutrition and weight management topics.
General tips and tools for healthy eating and living
Weight management resources
- Childhood Obesity in Colorado: A Growing Problem
This report by the Colorado Children's Campaign studies trends in childhood obesity and recommends solutions.
- Shape Up America!
Shape Up America! offers safe weight management and physical fitness tips. The site includes a tool to determine your body mass index (BMI) and to develop a meal plan suitable for your health. Fitness and health quizzes are also available.
Empowering families with just the right online tools to achieve healthy living.
- Habit Changer: How to Feed Your Kids Healthier
A 42-day program designed to provide parents and caregivers with food and nutrition information, ideas, recipes, feeding tips, resources and inspiration, and is always offered FREE due to a commitment made to the Clinton Global Initiative to help reduce childhood obesity. It is available for individuals, children's hospitals, fitness programs, nonprofits, government agencies and anyone who is interested in learning how to feed their children more healthily and, in the process empower their children to eat healthier.
- Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support Page
Information for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, including diagnosis, treatments, frequently asked questions and a link to the "Gluten Free Mall" product listing.
- Fast Food Nutrition
Get the facts on what you've been eating for years at fast food restaurants! FastFoodNutrition.org has the nutrition facts for over 650 menu items from the most popular fast food restaurants.
- Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network
The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis network provides news, alerts, recipes and tips for managing food allergies in school.
- Food Nutritional Information Center
This resources from the US Department of Agriculture offers consumer information on lifecycle nutrition, food composition, food labeling and the food pyramid.
- Food Safety
Food safety information, including safe handling and storage, reading nutrition labels and other information from the Food & Drug Administration.
- Nutrition Guide for People with Diabetes
Nutrition information from the American Diabetes Association.
- Nutrition Source
All about healthy eating, plus how to interpret news on diet topics.
Sample books in the Children’s Colorado Family Health Library
Can't find what you need?
- “365 Activities for Fitness, Food, and Fun for the Whole Family” by Julia Sweet; Contemporary Books, 2001
- "Feeding the Kids: the Flexible, No-Battles, Healthy Eating System for the Whole Family" by Pamela Gould; Mancala Press, 2007
- “First Meals” by Annabel Karmel; DK Publ, 2004
- “Food, Fun, n’ Fitness: Designing Healthy Lifestyles for Our Children” by Mary Friesz; Designs for Healthy Lifestyles, 2002
- “Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating for Kids: Eat, Play, and Be Healthy” by W. Allan Walker; McGraw-Hill, 2005
- “Healthy Lunchbox” by Marie McClendon; Small Steps Press, 2005
- "How to Feed a Teenage Boy: Recipes and Strategies" by Georgia Orcutt; Celestal Arts, 2007
- “Just Two More Bites! Helping Picky Eaters Say Yes to Food” by Linda Piette; Three Rivers Press, 2006
Request a medical information packet
from the Children’s Colorado Family Health Library.