Legislative Issues and Action Alerts
As you know, at Children's Hospital Colorado, it is a key part of our mission to advocate on behalf of kids in the public policy arena, making sure that their needs and concerns are heard when important decisions are made. Children's Hospital Colorado will be monitoring legislative bills related to children’s healthcare in the coming year. In 2011, Children’s will focus on legislation around the regulation of youth sports in an effort to reduce concussions and head injuries sustained during play. Children’s will also work to protect those pieces of the budget that ensure access to kids and families to high quality healthcare. Additionally, Children’s is pleased to present ongoing advocacy priorities which are advocated for on a yearly basis.
Take a look at our annual “check-up” on how children’s issues fared at the legislature this year.
Strengthening Medicaid Provider Network
- Protecting inpatient hospital and provider reimbursement rates for public health programs
- Protecting the Pediatric Specialty Hospital state budget line item
- Support for efforts to institute a statewide hospital provider fee to support and enhance the Medicaid program
- Maintaining and enhancing federal Children’s Hospital Graduate Medical Education (CHGME) dollars
Covering All Kids
- Supporting efforts to ensure that all Colorado children have access to public or private health insurance
- Ensuring that all eligible children are enrolled in public health care programs
- Removing administrative barriers for providers who part icipate in public health insurance plans
- Supporting efforts to ensure children have a medical home
- Improving access to medical care at Children's Hospital Colorado main campus by removing transportation barriers and advocating for an additional interchange on I-225 that reduces traffic congestion
Keeping Kids Safe from Injury and Abuse
- Shaken Baby Syndrome Prevention
- Collaboration with hospital and community partners in preventing child abuse and neglect
- Community engagement in injury prevention efforts such as promoting bicycle helmets, car seats, and other safety measures
- Supporting efforts to enhance Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) in Colorado
Improving Health of Colorado Children
- Obesity prevention/promoting nutrition and exercise
- Promoting childhood immunizations
- Enhancing community health care capacity for children through coordinated school based health programs
- Enhancing coverage for targeted pediatric services as well as targeted populations:
- special formulas/foods for metabolic or GI conditions
- mental health services
- developmental disability services
- services targeted at teens and young adults
How You Can Help!
More voices are needed to strengthen Children’s Grassroots Advocacy Network. As adults who care about the future of our children and grandchildren, we can give voices to their needs with just one or two minutes of our time. If you are already a member, encourage your family, friends, colleagues, and social network to have a voice. Sign up for the Grassroots Advocacy Network today!
Although the November election has come and gone, remember that voter registration is always available online at www.sos.state.co.us. If you have specific questions about your voter registration form, please contact your County Clerk.
Action alerts are posted at key points during the legislative session (January through May) when our advocates' voices are needed to ensure that public policies and laws are good for kids' health.
VIEW CURRENT ALERTS