In this moment, I will stay calm
If nothing seems to calm your crying infant, it is okay to leave the baby in a safe place, like a crib or infant seat and take a few moments to calm yourself down. Leave the room. Shut the door. Take a few deep breaths.
Calm your frustration before returning to care for the baby:
- Take deep breaths while counting at the same time to slow the pace of your breathing.
- Do a set of 10 push-ups, sit-ups or other physical activity in your home.
- Listen to music that calms you down.
- Call a trusted friend or neighbor to chat for a few minutes.
- Have a trusted friend or neighbor come over to watch the baby so you can go outside for a few
breaths or take a quick walk around the block.
No matter what, never shake a baby.
In this moment, I will take a break
In this moment when your baby is crying, when you have tried everything, when you want to scream, somewhere inside is the reason you are here. In this moment, what will you do?
Fussy Baby Network® Colorado
All babies cry, but some cry more than others. Fussy Baby Network Colorado is a program for parents who have concerns about their baby's fussiness during the first year of life. The Fussy Baby team is available to talk by phone via our "Warmline" to listen and to provide support and resources.
Call the Fussy Baby Network at 877-6-CRYCARE (1-877-627-9227)