The Medical Career Collaborative (MC²) program propels high school students toward careers in healthcare through hands-on experiences and professional development opportunities. MC2 focuses on recruiting students from groups that are under-represented in the healthcare workforce. This group of high-achieving young people typically consists of students of color and students from low-income backgrounds; the students come from schools all around the Denver Metro area.
MC² is a two-year program for high school juniors and seniors with programming activities taking place at Children’s Hospital Colorado and Denver Health.
Graduates of MC2 are now working in many different healthcare and bioscience careers including medicine, nursing, laboratory sciences, public health professionals, medical interpreting and biomedical research.
Who can apply?
Current high school sophomores are invited to apply, and if accepted, they will begin participation at the start of their junior year.
What does the MC2 program entail?
Through the following activities, students get a jump start on their future:
- Field Trips: MC2 students attend monthly field trips to gain exposure to healthcare.
- Internships: MC2 students are eligible for paid internships at Children’s Hospital Colorado or Denver Health. Once assigned to a hospital, students will be slated into an internship session in the fall, spring or summer. Fall and spring sessions are 12 weeks long with students working roughly 10 hours a week, while the summer session is six weeks with students working 30 hours a week. During their internship, MC2 students are placed in one department at their designated hospital where they work (and learn) alongside hospital team members.
- Service Learning/Volunteering: MC2students engage in service learning opportunities designed to give back to the local community.
- Personal and Professional Development Opportunities: Participating students engage in seminars, workshops and trainings designed to build students’ personal and professional competencies.
- Post-Secondary Coaching: MC2 seniors receive post-secondary coaching around their educational and career goals, college applications, scholarship applications, gathering letters of recommendation and writing essays.
- MC2 Alumni: MC2 Alumni are remain connected to the MC2 network and are eligible to participate in ongoing programs connected to career goals.
Learn more from our MC2 Program Roadmap.
The 2018-2019 application is currently closed
Please check back in January 2019 to access the 2019-2020 MC2 application.
Hear what MC2 participants are saying about the program
Watch these videos from three of our members:
Read an article about launch programs that offer training, jobs and hope: "There's Love In That Room."