The volunteers at Children's Hospital Colorado are all part of a group called Children's Hospital Colorado Association of Volunteers (AoV). The AoV coordinates placements for volunteers and ensures that complete orientation and training is provided to all volunteers. Our volunteer’s skills and interests are all so appreciated and we try to place everyone in a role that suits them and our needs. The examples below are just some of the ways that our volunteers contribute:
- Volunteers spend time with our patients by holding, comforting, playing with them and making them laugh.
- Volunteers bring specially-screened dogs to provide animal-assisted therapy for the Prescription Pet Program.
- Specially trained volunteers serve as ambassadors with the Welcome Program. Volunteers greet newly admitted patient families upon their arrival and introduce them to the hospital's many amenities. The goal is to provide a warm and welcoming environment and to answer any non-medical questions.
- The Wine Event is the Association of Volunteers' signature event. The special evening features a silent and live auction of fine wines and experiences with all proceeds benefiting the Maternal Fetal Medicine Program.
- Many groups of volunteers do not spend time directly with our patients, but perform more administrative duties, which can be just as important to the day-to-day operations of Children's Hospital Colorado.
- Teenagers between 13 and 18 years of age participate in the Junior Volunteer Program. They support the Hospital by working in a number of departments as well as supporting fundraising activities.
- Volunteers also assist in fundraising by staffing Children's Hospital Colorado Gift Shop and La Cache.
- Chapter Volunteers in the community are very active in fundraising events throughout the year that help to fund special equipment, facilities and programs for the patients of Children's Hospital Colorado.
Association of Volunteers