Children's Hospital Colorado

Providing a Home for Medically Underserved Children

A teenage boy gets a shot at the child health clinic.

“We don’t turn any child away, regardless of their ability to pay,” says Kelly Galloway, practice director of primary care and community health programs at Children’s Hospital Colorado. “The population we see in clinics deal with every type of social determinant you could imagine.”

Addressing all aspects of care

As a result of barriers to care, like transportation and time constraints, children miss important care milestones or move between providers without developing a long-term care relationship in the context of a medical home. Consequently, Children’s Colorado’s Child Health Clinic takes on all aspects of a child’s well-being, making it one of the largest providers of pediatric primary care for Medicaid patients in Aurora.

“Our goals at the Child Health Clinic are to provide access to and coordination of high-quality health care for low-income families,” says Galloway. “We also have a strong teaching mission, training multiple levels of pediatric and family medicine providers in the art of delivering comprehensive, compassionate and evidence-based care.”

Ensuring comprehensive services for vulnerable kids

“All clinics have integrated behavioral health, family navigators, social work, care coordination and more — ensuring that high-risk, medically underserved children in our community receive the comprehensive care they deserve.

“I’ve taken my 10-month-old son, Daniel, and my 3-year-old son, Anthony, to the Child Health Clinic since they were three days old,” says Francisca Garcia, a local resident. “We get everything we need for their health care here.”

Learn more about why Medicaid is critical for kids.

PRODWEBSERVER2