We greatly appreciate the outpouring of support we’ve received from community members offering to donate and make personal protective equipment (PPE) during the coronavirus pandemic. In addition to protecting clinical team members with medical PPE, we provide more than 1,000 cloth face coverings each week to patients and families across our locations. Your donation helps fill a huge need for us, and any amount helps.
Please follow these guidelines to help our team members streamline donations and to avoid disrupting critical operations and patient care.
If you still have questions after reviewing the information below, please email PPEDonations@childrenscolorado.org.
Donating medical PPE
Like healthcare institutions across the country, Children’s Hospital Colorado is in need of protective gear.
We’re accepting donations of the following items. Please note that gear should be brand new (never used) and in its original packaging.
- N95 respirator masks (high priority; 3M 1860 N95s preferred)
- Hand sanitizers like Purell
- Manufactured surgical and medical masks
- Face shields (3D printed OK)
- Nitrile gloves
- Disinfectant wipes for hard surfaces
Homemade protective equipment
We’re also accepting the following “homemade” protective equipment:
- Cloth face coverings for patients and families and team members in non-clinical areas (high priority)
- Complete 3D-printed plastic face shields (must include all parts)
Your donations will help protect both team members and families during this crisis. Face shields will provide vital protection for our frontline team members, and cloth face masks will help team members in non-clinical areas and patients’ families to help reduce community transmission.
Learn how face coverings help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and why kids should wear face coverings.
Guidance and resources for cloth face coverings
Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) How to Wear a Face Covering for approved materials and sewing patterns.
- Preferred pattern: In terms of style and pattern, we prefer the CDC's "sewn cloth face covering" option with elastic ear loops.
- Please use kid-friendly prints.
- We request both adult- and child-sized coverings; approximately 50% of our total inventory needs to fit younger children.
- For additional resources and tips on sewing cloth face coverings, please visit the Colorado Mask Project.
We continue to revisit these guidelines daily based on the best available evidence and will update this list if anything changes.
Where to donate
We can accept donations by delivery and by mail. Please donate at the facility nearest you; we will distribute donations throughout our locations as PPE needs arise.
We’re accepting drop-offs by appointment. Please call the Association of Volunteers at each location to arrange details.
To send PPE by mail, please address your package to “Children’s Hospital Colorado, c/o Association of Volunteers.” Visit the links above for each location’s mailing address.
How we share cloth face coverings with families
We properly sanitize all cloth face coverings in the hospital laundry.
After laundering, we provide reusable cloth face coverings for our patients and families who do not have their own when they visit us. Families can then take the washable cloth face coverings home and continue to use them in their day-to-day lives.
Providing these face coverings helps keep our patients, families and team members safe within our locations and also helps prevent the spread of COVID-19 within the community.
If you have questions, please email PPEDonations@childrenscolorado.org and our team will get back to you.
Thank you for your generosity! Learn even more ways you can help (and get help) during the coronavirus pandemic.