You can take a cough syrup with dextromethorphan if you have a cough that keeps you up at night. It can also help with a dry, hacky cough at the end of a cold or flu.
- DM comes as a capsule, liquid, lozenge, or spray.
- Use as directed on the label. Do not take more than the recommended amount in a day.
Extra Notes and Warnings:
- This is an over-the-counter (OTC) drug. You can buy it at the drugstore.
- DM comes alone or mixed in with other medicines.
- Do not try to stop a cough if you are coughing up phlegm. Coughing is helpful in bringing up mucus from the lungs. This helps keep you from getting pneumonia.
- Do not take DM if you have taken a MAO inhibitor in the past 2 weeks. These include: isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), and tranylcypromine (Parnate).
- Do not take this drug if you are taking venlafaxine (Effexor).
- Research Notes: Some research shows DM helps a cough get better. Other research shows it has little to no effect.
- Drug Abuse: DM has become a drug of abuse.
Common Brand Names:
- Adult Tussin DM
- Adult Tussin Cough - Capsule or Liquid
- Robitussin Cough and Chest Congestion DM
- Robitussin Long-Acting CoughGels
- Vicks DayQuil Cough
- Vicks Formula 44
- Zicam Cough MAX
Read the instructions and warnings on the package insert for all medicines you take.