Disclaimer: The below information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice. It is provided for educational and reference purposes only. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information. Please call your primary care provider or our ParentSmartTM Healthline with any questions. Pediatric nurses are available 24/7 at 720-777-0123.
|Child's weight (pounds) ||22-32 ||33-43 ||44-54 ||55-65 ||66-76 ||77-87 ||88+ ||lbs |
|Liquid 2 mg/ 5 milliliters (mL) ||2.5 ||4 ||5 ||5 ||7.5 ||7.5 ||10 ||mL |
|Liquid 2 mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp) ||½ ||¾ ||1 ||1 ||1½ ||1½ ||2 ||tsp |
|Tablets 4 mg ||-- ||-- ||½ ||½ ||½ ||1 ||1 ||tablet |
When to Use. For allergic reactions, nasal allergies, hives and itching.
- Age Limits. For allergies, don't use under 1 year of age. Reason: it causes most babies to be sleepy. For colds, not advised at any age. Reason: no proven benefits. It should not be given if under 4 years old. If under 6 years, don't give products with more than one ingredient in them (FDA recommendation 2008).
- Dose. Find the child's weight in the top row of the dose table. Look below the correct weight for the dose based on the product you have.
- Measure the Dose. Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medicine. If not, you can get a med syringe at drug stores. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Reason: regular spoons are not reliable. Keep in mind 1 level teaspoon equals 5 mL and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 mL.
- Adult Dose. 4 mg. Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed.
- 6-12 years Long-Acting (L.A.) dose. 8 mg long-acting (L.A.) tablet every 12 hours as needed.
- 12 years and older Long-Acting (L.A.) dose. 12 mg long-acting (L.A.) tablet every 12 hours as needed.
- Brompheniramine dosing is the same as chlorpheniramine dosing.
- Use in Countries Outside the U.S. Dose tables are based on U.S. products. Concentrations may vary in countries outside the U.S. Always check the concentration is the same before using this dose table.