Three types of bullying
- Social: Spreading rumors, encouraging others to reject or exclude someone, embarrassing someone in public
- Verbal: Threatening, teasing, name-calling, making sexual remarks
- Physical: Hitting, pushing, spitting, stealing or breaking others’ belongings, making mean hand gestures
Fast bullying facts
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied at school*
- 160,000 children miss school every day due to a fear of being bullied**
- Together, Let’s Prevent Bullying
Take action against bullying
- Pay attention: Is your child being a bully?
- Monitor social media accounts, email and text messages.
- Limit your child’s online activity and interactions appropriately.
- Do not tolerate aggression or hostility between siblings.
- Listen to what your child talks about with his or her peers.
- Cyber Bullying can involve both social and verbal types of bullying.
- Venues of cyber bullying include:
- text messages
- social media sites
- chat rooms
- instant messages.
- 43% of kids have been bullied online†
Download the bullying infographic (.pdf).
- *US Department of Justice
- **National Association of School Psychologists