Mold is present virtually everywhere, even in dry Colorado. Though mold isn’t always an issue, large quantities can affect your family's health, especially if they are allergic. Symptoms of mold exposure include respiratory problems, nasal and sinus congestion, eye irritation, cough, nose or throat irritation and skin rashes or irritation.
To help reduce your family’s exposure to mold, Dan Atkins, MD, Section Chief of pediatric allergy and immunology at Children's Hospital Colorado, provides tips for reducing mold in your home.
9 tips for reducing mold growth at home
- Run an exhaust fan in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Ventilate and clean all rooms, especially basements, bathrooms and kitchens to keep mold and mildew from growing.
- Don’t put carpet over concrete or damp floors.
- Do not store things in damp places.
- Take the garbage out frequently.
- Promptly repair and seal leaking roofs or pipes.
- Clean moldy surfaces.
- Use a dehumidifier. Note: You need to clean and empty the water in dehumidifiers regularly to keep mold from growing.
- Keep indoor humidity at around 30 to 50%.