How to Use an Acorn Nebulizer with Mouthpiece
- Plug the compressor machine into an electrical outlet.
- Open the nebulizer cup by twisting the top counter clockwise.
- Pour the medication into the nebulizer cup. Then add saline, if recommended.
- Replace the nebulizer top by twisting it clockwise until secure.
- Plug one side of the clear plastic tubing into the compressor machine and the other side into the nebulizer cup.
- Assemble the mouthpiece and attach it to the nebulizer (see Figure A). If using a mask attach the mask to the nebulizer mask (see Figure B).
- Place the mouthpiece in the child’s mouth or put the mask on the child’s face (make sure you have a tight seal).
- Turn on the air compressor machine. A fine mist will come out of the nebulizer.
- Breathe in and out normally, until the medicine is finished. This should take about 10 minutes.
- If the child is able, instruct them to take an extra deep breath and hold it for 5-10 seconds every 10 breaths.
- The child should sit upright and be awake during the nebulizer treatment.
- If the nebulizer is not creating mist, pour out the medicine, rinse with sterile water and start over.
- When you hear the nebulizer make a sputtering noise, tap the cup so the droplets of medicine on the side can be nebulized.
- Cleaning: After each treatment, take the nebulizer apart and wash with warm water and liquid dish soap. This includes the mask and/or mouthpiece. Rub off any “stuck on” mucus. Rinse all parts. Shake off the excess water and allow to air dry.
- If the nebulizer is not rinsed after each treatment, the small holes inside the nebulizer will become clogged and will not make a mist.
- It is not necessary to rinse the clear compressor tubing.
- Disinfecting: At least once a week the nebulizer, mask, and/or mouthpiece should be disinfected by using the following method:
- Soak in a solution of 1 part distilled white vinegar and 3 parts hot tap water for 1 hour.
- After soaking, rinse all of the parts with sterile water and air dry.
- You can make sterile water by boiling tap water for 10 minutes.
Download instructions on how to use an Acorn Nebulizer (.pdf)