The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children’s Hospital Colorado is consistently ranked one of the best pediatric cancer programs by U.S. News & World Report and Parents magazine. Our Hematology Program is affiliated with the University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center — one of the world’s premier programs for treatment of clotting and bleeding disorders in children and adults.
About the Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center
The University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center provides high-quality, seamless care for children with bleeding disorders and continues to support them as they grow into adults. Children’s Colorado’s affiliation with the Center makes it the region’s most comprehensive program for pediatric diagnosis, treatment and support of coagulation disorder patients including:
- Von Willebrand disease
- Platelet function abnormalities
- Pediatric thrombosis
- Pediatric stroke
- Other rare bleeding and clotting disorders
The University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center provides multidisciplinary care, which means that in addition to board-certified pediatric hematologists, board-certified adult hematologists, registered nurses and advanced practice providers, the team also includes social workers, child life specialists, psychologists, genetic counselors, pharmacists and physical therapists. This breadth of expertise means that patients and their families have access to the following services:
- Consultation, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up
- Surgical planning
- Family support services and accommodation assistance
- On-site 340B Specialty Pharmacy for home infusion therapies and professional services
- Accredited Specialty Pharmacy by Utilization Review Accreditation Commission
- Inpatient and outpatient local and regional care management
- Long-term management, support and follow-up
- Parent support groups
- School visits
- Outreach clinic locations throughout Colorado and Montana
- Community outreach education, including summer camp and disease-specific retreats
Why choose us for hemophilia and thrombosis care
The University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center is world renowned, often setting the standard of care for hemophilia treatment. Internationally known doctors provide extensive care for pediatric hemophilia patients with bleeding and clotting disorders.
In fact, the University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center is the only Maternal Child Health Bureau (MCHB) federally designated hemophilia and thrombosis center serving patients in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. The Center also offers several coagulation subspecialty clinics that help patients with their treatment and management of care.
- Bleeding disorders clinics: hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, platelet dysfunction, The Spots and Dots Clinic, afibrinogenemia and other rare bleeding disorders
- Stroke clinics: acute ischemic stroke, perinatal stroke, hemorrhagic stroke and cerebral sinus venous thrombosis
- Thrombosis clinic: thrombophilia and a separate antiphospholipid antibody syndrome clinic
Researching cures for a better tomorrow
The University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center is known for its groundbreaking clinical research that continues to revolutionize care of bleeding and clotting disorders such as hemophilia in children and adults, and works to transition the focus from treatment of life-threatening and debilitating bleeding episodes to prevention of bleeding through regular home administration of clotting factors and non-factor injections. The Center also conducts clinical trials of new therapeutic agents, including gene therapy, which allows patients the opportunity to participate in innovative trials of new medications.
The Center is always working to improve its care and the way it is delivered to all patients through research and dedication to outcomes-driven improvement.
Who we treat at the Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center
The University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center provides treatment and management of bleeding and clotting disorders in children and adults.
Contact the Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center
The University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center is located just north of the Anschutz Medical Campus in the CU Medicine Building. For appointment information, visit the webpage or call 303-724-0724.