If you are interested in the field of Child Life, please join us for a special educational session: Child Life 101 (.docx). (Click this link for RSVP information)
Note: This page is frequently updated. Our website is kept current so please do not reach out to ask if we are accepting students as it will be noted here if we discontinue our program for any reason.
All applicants must be enrolled in a college/university/academic program and receiving credit hours for the internship. This is due to a Colorado state law that states that workman's compensation must be provided by a university and not by the hospital or student, and therefore is not open to negotiation. We appreciate you not reaching out to negotiate this requirement. You are welcome to investigate programs that will provide affiliation on your own.
A contract between the hospital and school will need to be negotiated prior to the start of an internship. School must supply worker's compensation and general liability insurance for student activities and education. Student or school must provide proof of professional liability insurance.
Children's Hospital Colorado is proud to be an accredited internship program through the Association of Child Life Professionals and adheres to all standards and requirements of accredited programs.
As professionals responsible for training and advancing candidates into the field of Child Life, we want to select students who are most motivated and committed to this profession. Specifically, we are looking for interns who are educationally well prepared to work with pediatric patients and their families. Meeting the course requirements of the ACLP is a minimum, and the more courses and experiences you have, the better prepared you will be. Additionally, we give strong preference to applicants who have significant experience working with children in a healthcare setting.
While completing internships at Children's Colorado, child life students can take advantage of a variety of amenities. These include free parking, employee discounts at the hospital cafeteria, shared office space including computer and email access, free continuing education opportunities and concierge services. Child life interns also have access to Children's Hospital Colorado Medical Library, Family Resource Center and to the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center Medical Library.
Description of Internship Program
Spring Internship (January - May)
- Applications must be scanned and emailed by September 5
- Applicants will be notified of internship offer by the second Tuesday of October
- Internship will begin on a Monday in January
Fall Internship (August - December)
- Applications must be postmarked by March 15
- Applicants will be notified of internship offer by the first Tuesday in May
- Internship will begin on a Monday in August
Child Life intern applicants: Complete the ACLP's Common Child Life Internship Application. We follow the ACLP application process completely. You are welcome to include letters of recommendation in addition to the recommendation form, but they are not required, and must be included in the single PDF that you submit.
All interns must provide the following information with their application:
- An unofficial transcript from each university/college you have attended
- A copy of your current resume
- Two (2) ACLP Common Recommendation Forms:
- One from a college/university professor. If you have been out of school for an extended period, please find the best replacement for this recommendation form.
- One from an individual (other than relatives or friends) familiar with your work with children/families.
- Provide one copy of your current ACLP Eligibility Assessment with your application.
- ACLP Practicum verification. Children's Colorado requires all internship applicants to have completed a practicum of at least 100 hours under a certified child life specialist. Although this is not required by the ACLP, we feel strongly that students who have not completed a practicum prior to their internship experience are not successful in our program.
- Provide ACLP course in progress forms for any courses not completed with the most recent Eligibility Assessment Evaluation Report. This includes the Child Life Course In-Progress form. The assessment should be updated as recently as possible.
Only completed application packets will be reviewed. Please do not send your packet in different pieces; complete all parts before sending. Please scan all documents into one PDF and submit your packet to: ChildLife101@childrenscolorado.org.
Before arriving for internship
- Pre-internship Reading Requirements (.doc)
- Please note that there are requirements that must be completed at least one week prior to your internship. Before applying, please review these expectations and decide if you can successfully complete them.
- Please note the requirements listed below must be submitted to your university, who then completes an attestation form stating the requirements are completed. You do not submit these directly to Children's Colorado.
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance
- Health Guidelines of Children’s Hospital Colorado:
- Immunization records must contain proof of the following:
A current medical record for the intern, which provides information related to any chronic health condition(s) at the time of the clinical rotation, must be on file and available at the academic institution sponsoring the intern.
Hospital/University contract signed at least 2 weeks prior to start date must be completed between the university and Children's Colorado. If this contract cannot be agreed upon and signed, the hospital cannot accept you as an intern. It is non-negotiable due to Colorado state law.
- Documentation of two MMR vaccines or laboratory evidence of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.
- Documentation of two Varicella (chicken pox) vaccines or laboratory evidence of immunity to varicella. History of disease is NOT acceptable.
- Documentation of Tdap vaccination.
- Two PPD tests within the last 12 months; or two PPD tests within the current year.
- Documentation of completed Hepatitis B series (3 vaccinations). If individual has declined the Hepatitis B immunization series, please have proof of a signed declination statement available upon request.
- Influenza vaccination annually.
If you have additional questions about our child life student experiences, contact us by phone or email. (Please note that we cannot provide information about other educational opportunities, such as art therapy or medical education.)
Child Life Student Experience Inquiries