Our care team includes certified child life specialists. These are specially trained healthcare professionals who help children, teens and families deal with any stress or fear that may come with a medical condition or appointment. Thanks to support from our child life team, many of our patients have been able to feel more comfortable in the dental clinic and have felt less anxiety about their dental care.
Child life specialists help patients and families in the Dental Center by:
- Educating and preparing children and adolescents about teeth cleaning, treatments and procedures
- Practicing healthy ways to cope with anxiety and pain
- Coaching and supporting patients during appointments
- Familiarizing patients to the clinic and the tools the dentist uses
- Helping children and adolescents express their feelings about past or upcoming visits
- For patients with developmental and behavioral challenges who have a hard time coping in medical settings, developing adaptive care plans to improve their medical experiences
If you are interested in child life support during your child's upcoming dental appointment, please request child life when you call to schedule.