About Spine Class
Our spine team understands that an upcoming surgery can be scary and overwhelming. That’s why we created a class for spine surgery to help kids and families prepare. It’s typical to attend Spine Class one to two months prior to surgery.
The spine surgery class offers:
- An overview of the pre-operation area and information about the pre-operation process
- An overview of what you can expect post-surgery including physical therapy, pain control, eating and drinking guidelines and overall recovery information
- Answers to questions about anesthesia, pain management, recovery and more
- An explanation of things you will experience after spine surgery, like physical therapy, pain control, eating/drinking guidelines, and overall recovery
Attendees also have an opportunity to meet a Children's Colorado patient who recently had a similar surgery. The patient will tell their story and answer questions about spine surgery. Attendees can ask anything, including:
- How was the stay at Children's Colorado?
- How did you beat boredom while recovering from surgery at home?
- How long after spine surgery did you get back to regular activities?
- What activities are you participating in now?
- What is life like after spine surgery?
- What are some tips and tricks for an easier recovery?
Spine Class FAQ
When and where is Spine Class held?
Spine Class is held virtually via Zoom, so you can learn from the comfort of your own home. This allows patients from outside Colorado to participate. Class usually takes place on the first Wednesday of every month from 1:30 to 3:30pm.
How do I sign up?
Call the nurse line at 720-777-6962 for more information.
Who can come to Spine Class?
Spine Class is designed for healthy school-age children, teens and young adults. We offer another class for children with special needs the second Thursday of every month. You can contact our spine nurses to learn more at 720-777-6962.
Who can come with me?
Patients can bring anyone they'd like to bring to Spine Class. Most patients bring their parents or guardian. Grandparents and siblings can also attend.
I live out of town. How can I get this information?
Due to the virtual nature of the class, you can still attend. Our spine team nurses are happy to answer any questions about spine surgery. Call our nurse line at 720-777-6962. You can also view the following videos to help prepare you for surgery: