The Spine Program at Children's Hospital Colorado evaluates and treats infants, children, teens and young adults with all types of spinal conditions and injuries. From the most basic conditions to the most complex, our goal is to provide the safest and most effective treatments beginning with non-surgical options. However, when our pediatric spine specialists believe surgery is the best treatment, we offer innovative approaches from experienced orthopedic spine surgeons.
Watch Hunter's story
Due to congenital kyphoscoliosis, 3-year-old Hunter Peters' backbone had twisted so much it was pinching his spinal cord, sabotaging his ability to walk. Watch how our team used a multidisciplinary approach and innovative techniques, like 3D modeling, to help Hunter walk.
Spine conditions we treat
Our Spine Program experts treat a variety of pediatric spine conditions, including:
Why choose the Spine Program at Children's Colorado?
Shorter hospital length of stays for spinal fusion surgery when compared to the state average
Pediatric spine procedures performed each year
Of the pediatric idiopathic scoliosis procedures in Colorado are performed by our specialists
The spine team at Children's Colorado is one of the top pediatric spine care teams in the country. Our care team includes specially trained pediatric and adolescent spine experts who provide the right treatment at the right time. Our pediatric spine specialists perform more than 250 pediatric spine procedures each year – that's more than anyone else in our region.
Specialized pediatric spine care for your child and family
Our Spine Program provides:
- Pediatric orthopedic surgeons and physician assistants with training and experience in advanced pediatric spine care
- Expertise from infancy through young adulthood, giving your family a continuum of care as your child grows and develops
- Individualized treatment plans tailored to your child's condition and specific needs
- Low radiation dose imaging with EOS
- Access to 3D modeling and surgical planning for the most complex cases
When surgery is recommended, we have exactly what patients need:
- A team of pediatric experts including anesthesiologists, nurses, physical therapists, social workers, nutritionists, respiratory therapists and child life specialists
- Highly specialized nursing staff, including dedicated spine nurses and inpatient nurses with pediatric orthopedic training
- Operating rooms and equipment designed just for kids, teens and young adults
- State-of-the-art spinal cord monitoring to ensure safer outcomes for patients
- Leading spine surgery outcomes, including reduced length of stay after surgery and spinal infection rates
Expert pediatric spine guidance and support
The Spine Program provides a team approach to care offering family-centered support for you and your child, including:
- A welcome program and coordinator who introduces your family to Children's Colorado and provides supportive services
- Spine class before surgery, an interactive session for healthy school age and adolescent patients to prepare them for surgery and recovery
- Educational information and connection with a former patient who can share their spine surgery experience
- Accommodations for complex medical problems through a team of experts who coordinate care throughout treatment
Our spine specialists belong to the following professional and research groups:
Additional Spine Program resources
- Caroline Cappelletti: Learn how Caroline stayed on pointe despite scoliosis.
- Jennifer Barksdale: Read about Jennifer's experience with kyphosis and how it inspired her future career.
- Nora Casper: Meet Nora, who was diagnosed with congenital scoliosis at just 5 months old.
- Jessie Freeland: Learn about Jessie's experience with spine surgery.