About the Surgical Oncology Program
The Surgical Oncology Program at Children’s Hospital Colorado offers a unique combination of specialists from pediatrics, surgery and oncology. We are committed to improving the lives of children with cancer by providing expert care for children of all ages and with all types of pediatric cancers.
Our hospital is ranked among the nation’s best cancer treatment centers because of our collaborative approach and our outstanding outcomes. Our surgeons and oncologists are members of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), allowing them to collaborate with experts from all over the United States and Canada who focus exclusively on pediatric cancer research. By working together, and across specialties, our oncologists, pediatric surgeons, urologists, orthopedic surgeons, gynecologists, radiologists, pathologists and advanced practice providers create a multidisciplinary program that is unlike any other in the region or nation.
Why choose us for your child’s care
Our Surgical Oncology Program works extensively with our Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders to plan a clear path from diagnosis to surgical treatment. Within the Center, we host a range of programs focusing on various cancers and tumors.
As a children’s hospital, we put a lot of emphasis on making children, adolescents and young adults feel safe and comfortable, especially while going through cancer treatment. Our care team also takes the time to check in with the family to ensure that parents and siblings understand and feel comfortable with the process of diagnosis, treatment and post-surgery care as well. While it may be our Child Life team that puts your son or daughter at ease by acting out the procedure with puppets, we know it is our decades of experience surgically treating pediatric cancer that will help put you at ease because it is our expertise that sets us apart.
2019 research grant funding
- U.S. News & World Report: Children’s Colorado is ranked as one of the nation’s best hospitals and our Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders is consistently ranked among the top children’s hospital for cancer treatment.
- Collaboration: We work with the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders as well as the University of Colorado Cancer Center to contribute to groundbreaking research and ensure we’re using the most modern and effective treatments. We are the only National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Care Center in the nation.
- Results: Our positive outcomes data consistently shows that we perform well above the national average.
- Research: Our team is constantly involved in research across a range of subspecialties. Read the surgical oncology team’s published research.
Who we treat at the Surgical Oncology Program
We provide care to kids of all ages, from infancy through young adulthood. We diagnose and treat the following tumors and conditions:
- Wilms tumor
- Ewing’s sarcoma
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
- Mediastinal and sacrococcygeal germ cell tumors
Testicular and paratesticular tumors
- Testicular germ cell tumors
- Testicular stromal tumors (such as Leydig and Sertoli cell)
- Retroperitoneal metastases from testicular tumors
- Paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
- Bladder or prostate rhabdomyosarcoma
- Vaginal or uterine rhabdomyosarcoma
- Ovarian stromal tumors
- Ovarian germ cell tumors
Hereditary renal tumor syndromes
Contact the Surgical Oncology Program
For information or to make an appointment, please call 720-777-3625
Children's Colorado in the news
February 4, 2020
To say that 6-year-old Mac Breit is energetic would be an understatement. When he’s not running around, he’s hitting the slopes.