About the Mike McMorris Cystic Fibrosis Research and Care Center
We understand the challenges children with cystic fibrosis (CF) face — and we’re here to help. With the right treatment, children born with CF can lead long, healthy, active lives.
Our center, established in 1990, is one of the largest and most experienced cystic fibrosis clinical care and research centers in the country. Our specialists care for more than 350 children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis throughout the Rocky Mountain region. We also work with adults with cystic fibrosis along with our partners at National Jewish Health. Our expertise has earned us accreditation by the National Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Why choose us for cystic fibrosis care
At the Mike McMorris Cystic Fibrosis Research and Care Center at Children’s Colorado, your child receives world-class care from a team of cystic fibrosis experts. We pioneered the use of newborn testing for CF, and our efforts led to nationwide adoption of this lifesaving test.
Our unique program features:
- Collaborative care: Our multidisciplinary care team includes board-certified pediatric pulmonologists (lung specialists), CF clinical nurse specialists, registered dietitians, social workers, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, psychologists, research coordinators and support staff. Our team works together with board-certified gastroenterologists (digestive system specialists) and endocrinologists (hormone specialists) to care for our patients with CF-related liver disease and diabetes.
- Specialized testing: In addition to newborn screening, sweat testing and genetic screening, our clinic offers several types of specialized testing for CF diagnosis and treatment. These include:
- Sputum collection using a room designed to help us collect mucus from patients who don’t regularly make it
- Microbiology laboratory to culture and identify bacteria in the lungs
- Fiberoptic bronchoscopy to see airways and collect mucus
- Pulmonary function testing using specially designed baby- and toddler-sized equipment
- Advanced treatments: We offer leading-edge treatments, many of which our doctors and researchers pioneered. Our care teams create customized treatment plans to address each patient’s individual needs. Treatments may include airway clearance, inhaled medications, pancreatic enzyme supplements and CFTR modulators.
- Family support: We established a CF Family Advisory Council, made up of parents and clinical staff. They work together to ensure excellent medical treatment and supportive care for our patients and their families.
- Improved outcomes: Our program consistently ranks as one of the top-performing CF centers in the country based on our patients’ lung function.
- Cutting-edge clinical trials: Our center is one of the original members of the CF Foundation Therapeutics Development Network, which conducts early-phase clinical trials for CF treatments. We consistently rank among the top enrolling centers for CF clinical trials in the country. Our doctors and patients participate in numerous trials leading to innovative CF treatments. These trials give our patients early access to new research and treatments not widely available elsewhere.
Who we treat at the Mike McMorris Cystic Fibrosis Research and Care Center
We treat patients starting at birth, throughout childhood and into adulthood. Learn more about cystic fibrosis treatment.
Contact the Mike McMorris Cystic Fibrosis Research and Care Center
For an appointment with one of our cystic fibrosis specialists, call 720-777-6181.