In young children, many of the symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) – including feeding disorders and poor weight gain - resemble those of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), so providers may mistakenly diagnose a child with GERD.
Listen to a pediatric gastroenterologist discuss EoE in children
In today’s episode, we talk to Glenn Furuta, MD, about the importance of a proper diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis in children, signs and symptoms to look for and effective EoE treatment options.
Dr. Furuta is the La Cache Endowed Chair for GI Allergic and Immunologic Diseases, the Director of Gastrointestinal Eosinophilic Diseases Program at Children’s Hospital Colorado and a Professor of Pediatrics in Gastroenterology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
In this episode, our expert discusses:
- The prevalence of eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) and the lack of meaningful diagnoses
- How the clinical presentation of EoE can vary based on the age of the patient
- Early childhood symptoms such as reflux, regurgitation, lack of appetite and swallowing difficulties
- What you can expect from EoE presentation in older children, adolescents and adults
- First considerations, including reflux disease, feeding dysfunction, structural abnormality and neurologic deficits
- A two-step process for EoE diagnosis and red flags in medical or family history
- How the allergic paradigm fits into the underlying causes of EoE
- The growing incidence of allergic diseases and the revisions to the diagnostic criteria
- The typical progression/duration of EoE and associated coping behaviors
- Thoughts about the most concerning health consequences of the disease
- Dilation, dietary management, drugs and decreasing dysphagia in thinking about treatment
- Advantages and disadvantages to eliminating allergens from the diet
- The modes of delivery of topical steroids, its effectiveness and side effects
- A prediction of what the next decade holds in terms of diagnoses, monitoring and treatment
Treatment of EoE at Children’s Colorado
As a leader in the diagnosis, treatment and research of pediatric eosinophilic gastrointestinal diseases, our Gastrointestinal Eosinophilic Diseases Program proudly provides comprehensive care for patients from across the U.S. and around the world. We offer the most advanced technology and treatments available and a caring and supportive environment to help kids living with eosinophilic gastrointestinal diseases. Additionally, our Program is one of the few multidisciplinary programs in the entire country.
Refer a patient to Children's Colorado.