We are now entering our second month of the global COVID-19 pandemic. Our world has rarely experienced anything like this before. Some days feel like they have contained an entire month’s worth of change and challenges. One of the difficult realities that many healthcare providers have faced during the pandemic is a shortage of necessary personal protective equipment (PPE).
We have previously covered numerous topics related to the COVID-19 pandemic on Charting Pediatrics. You can go back and listen to those discussions on season 3, episodes 31, 36, 38, 41, 42 and 43.
Listen to our pediatric experts discuss PPE during the coronavirus pandemic
In this episode, we discuss several PPE topics, such as how providers should approach PPE as we move out of the peak of the pandemic and the efficacy of homemade cloth face coverings.
Sam Dominguez, MD, PhD joins us once again on the podcast. Sam is a pediatric infectious disease physician at Children’s Hospital Colorado and Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Infectious Diseases at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
Additionally, we are excited to have Pat Givens, DHA, EdM, RN, NEA-BC, as a guest today. Pat is the Chief Nursing Executive at Children’s Hospital Colorado and is serving as our PPE guardian during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In this episode, our experts discuss:
- Current epidemiology of the pandemic
- New data on coronavirus cases among the pediatric population
- Differences in presentation of coronavirus in kids versus adults
- The importance of continuing public health measures to prevent the spread of the virus
- Protecting frontline healthcare workers in the hospital setting and community practice settings
- Recommended levels of PPE based on procedure risk
- PPE conservation strategies such as using face shields to protect masks so they can be used throughout the day while cleaning face shields between patient encounters
- Ways to effectively clean face shields between patients
- Use of PPE with patients who come in for well-child exams or other non-respiratory complaints
- Tips for healthcare providers on how to prevent transmission to their families after they leave work
- The role of cloth face coverings in preventing transmission
- Innovative ways of extending PPE use and expanding PPE supply
- Length of time that current PPE practices will be in place
Treatment of infectious diseases at Children’s Colorado
Our pediatric experts in the Infectious Disease program at Children's Colorado provide a breadth of expertise ranging from laboratory-based research to the treatment and prevention of infectious diseases. Pediatricians can treat many infectious diseases, but when unique or different symptoms are present, it’s important to refer to a pediatric specialist. We are prepared and ready to treat patients with suspected or confirmed 2019 novel coronavirus. Our clinical staff has been specially trained on how to identify, isolate and treat patients with this and other contagious illnesses.
Refer a patient to Children’s Colorado.