If you are interested in the field of Child Life, please join us for a special educational session: Child Life 101 (.docx). (Click this link for RSVP information)
Note: This page has been recently updated. Please be mindful of new information.
All applicants must be enrolled in a college/university/academic program and receiving credit hours for the internship.
Contract between the hospital and school will need to be negotiated prior to start of internship. School must supply worker's compensation and general liability insurance for student activities and education. Student or school must provide proof of professional liability insurance.
As professionals responsible for training and advancing candidates into the field of Child Life, we want to select students who are most motivated and committed to this profession. Specifically, we are looking for interns who are educationally well prepared to work with pediatric patients and their families. Having classes, for example, in child/human development, psychology, family relations, cultural diversity, and the hospitalized child are especially useful. Additionally, we give strong preference to applicants who have significant experience working with children, ideally in a healthcare setting.
While completing internships at Children's Hospital Colorado, child life students are able to take advantage of a variety of amenities. These include free parking, employee discounts at the hospital cafeteria, shared office space including computer and email access, free continuing education opportunities and concierge services. Child life interns also have access to Children's Hospital Colorado Medical Library, Family Resource Center and to the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center Medical Library.
Description of Internship Program
Spring Internship (January - April)
- Applications must be postmarked by September 5
- Applicants will be notified of internship offer by the second Tuesday of October
- Internship will begin the 3rd Monday in January
Fall Internship (August - November)
- Applications must be postmarked by March 15
- Applicants will be notified of internship offer by the first Tuesday in May
- Internship will begin the 3rd Monday in August
Child Life Intern Applicants: Complete the CLCs Common Child Life Internship Application
All interns must provide the following information with their application:
- An unofficial transcript from each university/college you have attended (an official transcript will be required if offered an internship position)
- A copy of your current resume
- A total of 3 letters of recommendation:
- One letter of recommendation from your academic advisor. This letter should also include the statement "As the academic advisor, I have received information on the contract from this applicant and am willing to advocate for university support to reach agreement on the contract."
- One letter of recommendation from a college/university professor
- One letter of recommendation from an individual (other than relatives or friends) familiar with your work with children/families.
- Child Life Course Verification Form
- Provide one copy of your current CLC Eligibility Assessment Evaluation Report with your application.
- A typed response to the following:
- A professional statement explaining why you are exploring an internship at Children's Hospital Colorado.
- A brief statement articulating your definition of Child Life and the importance of the role in a pediatric setting.
- Please list five goals and objectives you expect to accomplish during your internship.
- Example: Goal - To complete a half-marathon by October
- Objective 1 purchase new pair of running shoes
- Objective 2 download training schedule and motivating music
- Objective 3 identify a running partner and follow weekly training schedule
Note: Applications will not be returned.
Only completed application packets will be reviewed. Please do not send your packet in different pieces; complete all parts before sending. Submit your packet to:
Attn: Tommi McHugh, MA, CCLS
Children's Hospital Colorado
Child Life Department
13123 East 16th Avenue
Aurora, CO 80045
Before Arriving for Internship
- Pre-internship Reading Requirements (.doc)
- Please note that there are requirements that must be completed at least one week prior to your internship. Before applying, please review these expectations and decide if you can successfully complete them.
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance
- Health Guidelines of Children’s Hospital Colorado:
- Immunization records must contain proof of the following:
A current medical record for the intern which provides information related to any chronic health condition(s) at the time of the clinical rotation must be on file and available at the academic institution sponsoring the intern.
Hospital/University contract signed at least 2 weeks prior to start date
- Documentation of two MMR vaccines or laboratory evidence of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella.
- Documentation of two Varicella (chicken pox) vaccines or laboratory evidence of immunity to varicella–History of disease is NOT acceptable.
- Documentation of Tdap vaccination.
- Two PPD tests within the last 12 months; or 2 PPD tests within the current year.
- Documentation of completed Hepatitis B series (3 vaccinations). If individual has declined the Hepatitis B immunization series, please have proof of a signed declination statement available upon request.
- Influenza vaccination annually.
If you need further information, please feel free to contact:
Child Life Student Experience Inquiries