What are the signs and symptoms of aspiration?
- Coughing or choking while eating
- Vomiting while choking
- Disrupted breathing while eating
- Failure to thrive/difficulty gaining weight
- Excessive drooling
- Behavioral feeding problems
- Chronic cough
- High-pitched wheezing on breathing in (stridor)
- Chronic respiratory illness (such as recurrent pneumonia)
- Air tube injury (bronchiectasis)
While all of the above symptoms are common with aspiration, it is possible for children to aspirate without displaying any symptoms.