About Telehealth at Children's Hospital Colorado
The Telehealth Department works to create technology solutions that empower patients and providers to transform healthcare. Telehealth, also known as telemedicine, is the remote delivery of healthcare, clinical information and patient/provider education using video-based technology. Children's Colorado uses the latest HIPAA-compliant, encrypted technology that is very easy to use. This technology enables our patients to get care from our medical providers closer to home.
The Telehealth Department is a leading innovator, partner and developer of healthcare models. At our core, we are focused on the idea that every child and their family should have access to the world-class care provided at Children’s Colorado. This passion fuels our mission to improve health and healthcare.
Our team helps create efficiencies and improves quality of care by:
- Transforming the way healthcare is delivered
- Transforming patient and provider education
How telehealth works
Telehealth is like Facetime or Skype with your doctor, but with medical-grade HIPAA-compliant tools. Telehealth provides best-practice medical care for patient visits or education at a time and place most convenient for the family.
Telehealth appointments can take place in your home or at a hosted partner site such as a local health clinic or hospital. Medical staff who work for the partner clinic or hospital near your home will help us during the video visits. We make sure that they have the training they need to use our technology effectively.
To get started, our team will issue you a Vidyo account that you’ll download to one of your devices (e.g. computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone). We’ll provide hands-on training, and then you’ll be ready to get started.
Read more about our Telehealth Program (.pdf).
We’ve provided a checklist below to help you prepare for each type of telehealth appointment:
Out-of-the-home telehealth appointment checklist
- Check with your insurance company to find out if telehealth is a covered service. To do that, simply call your plan’s member services department and ask about telehealth. You can find the phone number on the back of your child’s insurance card. Read more about insurance coverage and helpful questions to ask your insurance provider about telehealth.
- Install the required software. You can download the VidyoDesktop on your computer. You can also search for VidyoMobile at the app store for Android or Apple. Note: A home wifi or unlimited cellular data plan is suggested. If you do not have these plans, please mention this to your scheduling team or the Telehealth Department.
- Schedule a tech check appointment by emailing email@example.com.
- Sign and return the telehealth consent. Please sign the telehealth consent form and fax it to your clinic.
- Ensure that you have a quiet space with a door that can be closed so you have privacy and are free from distractions, such as pets, siblings, etc.
Hosted partner site telehealth appointment checklist
- Check with your insurance company to find out if telehealth is a covered service. To do that, simply call your plan’s member services department and ask about telehealth. You can find the phone number on the back of your child’s insurance card. Read more about insurance coverage and helpful questions to ask your insurance provider about telehealth in the FAQ below.
- Get the address of the hosted partner site and directions by contacting the scheduling line of your clinic.
- Sign and return the telehealth consent form and send to the hosted partner site. If you do not complete this step ahead of time, the partner site will likely provide a consent for you to review and sign.
Telehealth Consent Form, English (.pdf)
Telehealth Consent Form, Spanish (.pdf)
Contact the Telehealth Department
If you would like to make an appointment for your child through the telemedicine department, please contact your care provider or department.
For technical questions or problems, please contact 720-777-0104. If you have questions or would like us to be in contact with you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To give us feedback on your telehealth appointment experience, please complete our Patient Feedback Form survey.