- A foreign object becomes stuck in the eye
- Also included are small particles such as dirt
- The main symptoms are irritation, pain, tears, and blinking
Types of Foreign Objects in the Eye
- Blowing Dust. Small particles such as sand, dirt, sawdust, or other grit. Can be blown into the eye on a windy day.
- Eyelash. An eyelash is a common finding.
- Dry Mucus. A loose piece of dried mucus (sleep) can feel like something is in the eye.
- Sharp Object (Serious). A piece of glass from a shattered glass ornament is an example.
- High Speed Objects (Serious) such as a metal chip from a hammer or lawnmower. A plastic fragment or small rock thrown from a weed-whacker are other examples.