- Dizziness or nausea from spinning or rolling motions
Symptoms of Motion Sickness
- Dizziness and unsteady walking
- Nausea and vomiting are also common
- Before age 6, the main symptom is dizziness and the need to lie down.
- After age 12, the main symptom is nausea (feeling sick to the stomach).
Causes of Motion Sickness
- Symptoms are mainly triggered by motion. Sea sickness or amusement park sickness are the most common types. Fun-park rides that spin or whirl are some of the main causes. The Tilt-a-whirl is a good example of a ride to avoid. Also seen during travel by train, aircraft and even car.
- The cause is a sensitive center in the inner ear. This center helps to maintain balance.
- As a car passenger driving on winding roads, 25% of people will have symptoms. Under extreme conditions (e.g., high seas) over 90% of people have symptoms.
- Strongly genetic: if one parent has it, 50% of the children will have it.
- It is not related to emotional problems. The child cannot control it with will power.
- Motion sickness symptoms are often worse in children.