- Small raised growths that have a rough surface
- Viral infection of the skin
Symptoms of Warts
- Raised, round, rough-surfaced growths on the skin
- Skin-colored or pink
- Most commonly occur on the hands, especially the fingers
- Not painful unless located on the sole of the foot (plantar wart). Also can be painful if on part of a finger used for writing.
Cause of Warts
- Warts are caused by several human papilloma viruses
- Different types of warts are caused by different papilloma viruses
Prevention of Spread to Others
- Avoid baths or hot tubs with other children. Reason: warts can spread in warm water.
- Also, avoid sharing washcloths or towels.
- Contact sports: warts can spread to other team members. Warts should be covered or treated.
- Time it takes to get warts after close contact: 3 months