Here, we try our best to help our patients and families feel as welcome and comfortable as they would at home. We really rely on donations of new toys, books, stuffed animals, craft materials, and other items throughout the year – not just at the holidays.
How are donations used throughout the year?
Donations are used in the hospital's numerous playrooms by our therapists as part of a patient's treatment plan. They are also used to comfort and entertain a child during the sometimes stressful hospital experience. Donations also make it possible for patients to select a gift following the completion of a procedure or to celebrate a significant event such as a birthday, holiday, or the end of treatment.
How to donate toys, books and games for kids
- Please see the Children's Colorado wish list (.pdf) to learn about needed in-kind donation items and delivery processes at each of our locations.
- Keep in mind that we can use donations for newborns all the way up to 18-year-olds.
- Make sure we give you a tax receipt for your files.
Questions about donating
Send an email with any questions about donating in-kind items to the Association of Volunteers or call them at 720-777-6887.
To better assist you with decisions regarding donations, please keep in mind:
- Due to infection control guidelines for all of our patients, we cannot accept used items.
- Newborns, infants, toddlers and adolescents are the age groups in greatest need.
- Items need to be in their original packaging.
- We cannot accept the following:
- Toys that depict violence, such as guns or swords
- Food products, potted plants and latex balloons
- Games that are "M" rated or movies that are "R" rated
- Crocheted or hand-knitted items
Most needed donations
- PPE and cloth face coverings to address the coronavirus pandemic
- Stuffed animals
- Recordable storybooks
- Brand new clothing for sizes toddler-adult (specifically pants and shorts of all sizes with elastic waist band)
- Underwear for sizes toddler-adult
- Crayons with 4-8 crayons per pack
- Nerf basketball hoops
- Gift Cards to Target, Wal-Mart, Movie Theaters, Restaurants, iTunes, Michaels and Hobby Lobby
- Medical play kits
- Playing cards and UNO cards
- Lego kits
Donations for all ages
- Crayons and colored pencils
- Sensory toys (tactile, vibrating, etc.)
- DS gaming systems and games (no "M" rated games please)
- Push button books
- Bead and craft kits
- Dry erase boards and markers
- Search-and-find books for all ages (i.e. I Spy, Where's Waldo, etc.)
- Lift and Look "flap" books
- Fuzzy felt posters
Donations for newborns, infants and toddlers
- Plastic and washable mobiles
- Shape sorters
- Rattles and teethers
- Stacking rings
- Light-up and musical toys
- Music and activity boxes that attach to a crib
- Little People people, play sets and animals
- Crib mirrors
- Riding and push toys
- Boppy pillows and covers
- Bath toys
- Board books
- Fisher price baby gym
- Blocks and building sets
- Light-up and musical toys
- Books in Spanish
Donations for school-age children
- Lego kits and bionicles
- Lego kits for girls
- Play plastic animals/bugs/dinosaurs
- Art kits
- Jumbo action figures
- Sports equipment
- Nail polish
Donations for teens and adults
- Sports teams logo wear
- Teen DVDs (no "R" rated DVDs please)
- Digital cameras
- Beauty kits and nail polish
- High quality sketch pads and pencils
- Arts and crafts
- 3-D fun puzzles
- iTunes gift cards
- Ear buds and headphones
- Yoga mats
- Game Stop gift cards
- Sephora gift cards
- Play Station 4 video games (no "M" rated games please)
- Lego sets