While our pediatric patients have been at lower risk for severe disease during the COVID pandemic, its direct and indirect repercussions on pediatric illnesses have been experienced. For example, in the last three to four months, we’ve seen rising numbers of severe disease among children.
Listen to pediatric experts discuss the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on pediatric critical care.
In this episode, Cam Gunville, MD, joins us to unpack the impact that COVID-19 has had on pediatric critical care. Dr. Gunville serves as our medical director of our PICU and is associate professor of pediatrics and critical care at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
In this episode, our experts discuss:
- The rising number of patients with acute COVID and pulmonary disease
- The median age and characteristics of kids diagnosed with MIS-C versus acute COVID
- The use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) as a modality for treatment
- Improving upon mechanical and non-invasive ventilation strategies
- Best practices for COVID-19 medication regimens with remdesivir, Decadron and prophylactic Lovenox
- The evolution of MIS-C treatment modalities and similarities to Kawasaki disease
Treatment of infectious diseases at Children’s Colorado
Our pediatric experts in the Infectious Disease Program at Children's Colorado provide a breadth of expertise ranging from laboratory-based research to the treatment and prevention of infectious diseases. Pediatricians can treat many infectious diseases, but when unique or different symptoms are present, it’s important to refer to a pediatric specialist. Our clinical staff has been specially trained on how to identify, isolate and treat patients with COVID-19 and other contagious illnesses.
Stay up-to-date with the latest on COVID-19
Experts at Children’s Hospital Colorado are committed to maintaining important and timely information for providers during the pandemic. Check back regularly for frequent updates to our COVID-19 resources for healthcare professionals.
Refer a patient to Children’s Colorado.