Each year, global neonatal mortality accounts for nearly 2.4 million deaths –– most occurring within the first weeks or few minutes of life. Many of these deaths can be prevented with simple resuscitation training and newborn care interventions.
Listen to pediatric experts discuss the Helping Babies Breathe (HBB) program
In this episode, Beena Kamath-Rayne, MD, shares her experience delivering lifesaving neonatal resuscitation and the importance of HBB –– a skills-based program for medical staff in locations with limited resources.
Dr. Kamath-Rayne is the Vice President of Global Newborn and Child Health in the Division of Global Health and Life Support. Dr. Kamath-Rayne is also advancing training programs and technical assistance in global newborn and child health in her role at the American Academy of Pediatrics.
In this episode, our experts discuss:
- Motivation for developing the HBB program
- Bag-mask ventilation as the critical lifesaving skill of neonatal resuscitation
- Developing skills in positive pressure ventilation
- How to reach more providers to adopt HBB as part of newborn action plans
- The partnership with the World Health Organization to expand HBB to a larger audience
- Supporting Essential Newborn Care (ENC) training and implementation with ENC Now! –– a digital training course
Refer a patient to Children’s Colorado.