How is paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma treated?
After diagnosis, we assess whether the cancer is low-risk, intermediate-risk or high-risk, based on the tumor’s size, stage and spread. Then we recommend appropriate treatment options, which can include:
- Radical orchiectomy: Removing the entire testicle, which is necessary for all paratesticular rhabdomyosarcomas
- Retroperitoneal lymph node dissection (RPLND): Removing the lymph nodes in your child’s abdomen to assess and treat tumors that spread to the lymph nodes
- Port placement: Placing a port in their chest during surgery, so we can infuse chemotherapy drugs into a vein
All children with paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma receive chemotherapy. We customize your child’s treatment plan, including chemo drugs, dosage and number of treatments, based on their level of risk. Learn more about chemotherapy at our Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders.
Some children with paratesticular RMS benefit from radiotherapy along with chemotherapy and surgery. Radiation therapy uses intense beams of energy to kill cancer cells. It can be effective if the tumor spreads outside the area around the testicle or is at risk of such spread.
We use age-appropriate radiation dosages and methods to keep your child safe. Learn more about radiation therapy at our Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders.
Why choose us for treatment of paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma?
Children’s Colorado cares for children of all ages with all stages of disease. We offer:
- Experience: Our team of pediatric surgeons and oncology specialists treats more testicular tumors than any hospital in the Rocky Mountain region. We have the experience to guide your child's care toward the best possible outcome, whether the condition is benign or serious.
- Renowned specialists: Our Surgical Oncology Program includes one of the nation’s few pediatric urologists who is also trained in urologic oncology. This expertise and our multidisciplinary approach allows us to provide comprehensive care, from diagnosis to treatment.
- Breakthroughs in care: Our program takes part in research and clinical trials, giving your child access to the most modern treatments available.
Learn more about our Surgical Oncology Program and our Urologic Tumor Program.