The idea that your baby might face a health issue before or soon after they’re born can be unsettling for parents. But the unexpected can happen. The experts at Children's Hospital Colorado are here to provide you and your baby the best care possible whenever you need it — before, during or after birth. A baby care plan can help parents who know their baby will need care soon after birth and those who want to prepare, just in case.
What is a baby care plan?
Many expecting moms have a birth plan detailing every aspect of their baby’s birth from delivery options to pacifiers to pictures. But if your baby has a prenatal diagnosis or something unexpected comes up, do you have an equally detailed plan for their care after birth?
Make a plan to get the best care
The maternal and fetal medicine and neonatology experts at Children’s Colorado can help you create a care plan that gives your baby the greatest opportunity to grow up happy and healthy. We help expecting parents in several scenarios:
- During pregnancy: Some prenatal conditions require monitoring, treatment while the baby is still in the womb or specialized expertise and medical equipment during birth. In these cases, the team in our Colorado Fetal Care Center is specially equipped to care for mom and baby at all stages of pregnancy.
- Care immediately after birth: Babies delivered in our Colorado Fetal Care Center receive specialized care just steps away from mom in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) or dedicated Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU). Some babies come to us from other hospitals' NICUs when they need a higher level of medical care or if doctors don't detect an issue until after birth.
- Follow-up appointments: Not all prenatal conditions require care right away. And some require ongoing follow-up care in their first months or years of life. If your doctor believes your baby will require testing or treatment after birth, we can help you make appointments with doctors in any pediatric specialty or sub-specialty.
No matter your situation, we'll help you create a newborn care plan tailored to your family's needs. Now is a great time to get started.
Download your baby care plan
What if I don't have a prenatal diagnosis but I want a plan, just in case?
We're here if you need us. If your baby doesn't have a prenatal diagnosis, you can create a baby care plan in coordination with your doctor just so you’re prepared for any concerns that come up along the way. A baby care plan can help you start the conversation and inform your caregivers that should the unexpected happen, you would like your baby to receive the highest level of care at Children’s Colorado.
Why do I need a baby care plan?
A baby care plan makes all your wishes known, ensures your baby receives care tailored to them and gives you peace of mind heading into one of the most important days of your life.
You don’t want to wait until after birth to make these plans or simply assume all NICUs are the same. We'll help you map out a plan and coordinate care with your primary pediatrician. Whether you need experts in cardiology, pulmonology, neurology, gastroenterology or any other specialty, we can tailor care to your baby's specific needs.
Why choose Children's Colorado for your infant's care?
We specialize in helping babies with even the most complex medical conditions grow into thriving kids. As one of the nation's best children's hospitals as ranked by U.S. News & World Report, we see and treat more kids than any other hospital in the Rocky Mountain region. Pediatric expertise matters, and our team's vast experience leads to better outcomes for babies with fetal and congenital (present at birth) conditions. No other hospital in the region can provide a greater level of expertise and comfort for you and your family.
Our NICU on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora is a level four NICU, the highest designation awarded by the American Academy of Pediatrics. And our Heart Institute is ranked among the best in the nation, with exceptional outcomes and more than 300 cardiac experts dedicated to caring for patients with heart conditions for their entire lives.
How do I complete a baby care plan?
Starting your baby’s care plan is easy.
- Download our baby care plan (.pdf).
- Fill out the form and print or save it to your computer or phone.
- Go over the plan with your doctor. Together you can talk through questions and document your preferences should you or your baby need more advanced care during pregnancy or delivery.
We're here to help
If you would like a second opinion for a prenatal diagnosis or just have questions, please call our Colorado Fetal Care Center at 720-777-4463. We will give you honest answers about your baby's diagnosis, treatment options and next steps. Our goal is to empower you to find the right medical care for your baby, and you.