About the TRUE Center
It’s not easy growing up with an expansive gender identity or expression. At the TRUE Center for Gender Diversity at Children’s Hospital Colorado, we’re here to support you on your journey, whatever that may be. This is a safe space.
True is what we stand for — Trust, Respect, Understand, Emerge — so you can stay true to you.
We are the only comprehensive care center in the Rocky Mountain region specifically set up for gender-diverse children, adolescents and young adults. We embrace you for who you are, so you can become who you’ve been all along: your true self.
Who we care for at the TRUE Center
Our multidisciplinary team supports and cares for every aspect of the gender-diverse experience of children, adolescents and young adults. Our care team includes experts in adolescent medicine, endocrinology, nursing, psychology and social work.
We specialize in helping our patients achieve the gender expression that’s right for them. We understand the medicines and medical concerns that gender transitions involve, but we also understand the emotional challenges of gender diversity. In short, we speak your language.
We see not just patients, but people: We understand, empathize and treat each patient as the unique individual they are. That means we work together with you and your family to meet your needs and goals. Your unique care plan considers factors like your:
- Gender expression
- Stage of puberty
- Plans for future treatments or procedures
- Support system
Our gender diversity services
We offer trusted expertise to support patients and families on their transition journey with services that include:
- Puberty-blocking medicines: These medicines suppress the hormones that induce puberty. Using puberty blockers, we can avoid body changes that do not align with your identity.
- Hormone therapy: During puberty, your body goes through changes because of the hormones it's producing. With hormone therapy, we can produce the secondary sex characteristics — such as voice pitch and breast development — that align with your gender identity.
- Gender counseling: Transitioning, or even just coming to terms with your unique gender identity, can be an emotional process. Our compassionate therapists and social workers can help you sort through your feelings and desires to help you realize your goals.
- Referral to therapy and support groups: You are unique, but you are not alone. There are lots of people like you, and lots of families like yours. We’re tapped into a community of resources for gender-diverse kids and families, and we can help you find the supports you need — both for you and your family.
- Assistance with legal name change and gender marker change: How do you change the gender marker on your driver’s license? What about the name? We can help with that, too.
We can also refer you to additional services at your request: mental health, spiritual care, child life, plastic surgery, adolescent gynecology, dermatology, laser hair removal and fertility preservation, as well as a variety of community resources.
Why choose us for gender diversity care
Our multidisciplinary care team offers whole-patient support for your unique gender identity. We also recognize that medical care is just one part of your life. That’s why our program includes an array of experts to assist with matters from the physical to the emotional to the spiritual.
We believe gender-diverse children need a stable support system as they navigate their transition, which is why we offer support not only for our patients, but for parents and families as well.
Trust is key to any relationship, and that’s exactly what we’ll build: a relationship that will potentially last a long time. We’ll be an ally, an advocate and a part of your community. We’ll always protect your privacy first, but where it’s helpful, we can also reach out and coordinate with your primary care provider, therapist or school. And while we’ll give you all the information you need to make decisions, the decision will always belong entirely to you and your family.
Our relationship is about respect. That’s why we design unique care plans for each one of our patients, calibrated to your unique gender expression, as well as your personal hopes and needs. We also respect your chosen name and pronoun.
A one-size-fits-all approach won’t work for you and your family. You’re you, and that’s why you’re here. Whether you’re transgender, non-binary, gender-fluid, gender-expansive or gender-queer, we’ll listen and make every effort to understand your situation, to help you and your family achieve your goals.
Just as you’re emerging as your true self, gender diversity itself is emerging as a medical field. As leaders in that field, we’re developing clinical pathways and conducting some of the earliest research on the health effects of transgender hormone therapy and transition medicines like puberty-blockers. We provide care for you today with an eye toward your best possible future: happy, healthy and true to you.
Contact the TRUE Center
We are located in the Children’s Colorado Health Pavilion at 860 N. Potomac Circle, Aurora.
We happily accept referrals, consultations and questions. You can reach the TRUE Center for Gender Diversity at 720-777-8783 or by email.