About the pediatric Concussion Program
Pediatric experts at the Concussion Program specialize in the evaluation and treatment of children, adolescents and young athletes across all sports who may have experienced a concussion or other type of mild traumatic brain injury. The Program brings together experts from a variety of medical specialties to provide a comprehensive approach to concussion care. This includes physicians, neuropsychologists, psychologists, physical therapists, athletic trainers and school specialists.
Additionally, our certified athletic trainers and physicians work with many local schools and sports clubs to provide direct care for young athletes, including on-field medical evaluations.
Our concussion care includes:
- Same-day or next-day appointments
- Medical exams and rehabilitation for common post-concussion complications
- Consultation to help with decisions about when a young athlete should return to sports after a concussion
- Medical examination and rehabilitation care to evaluate and treat common post-concussion problems such as headaches
- Neuropsychological evaluations to assess cognitive skills, such as processing speed, attention and memory, that may have been affected by a concussion and to identify psychosocial factors, such as stress, that can interfere with recovery
- Advanced neuroimaging techniques to rule out medical emergencies soon after injury or identify brain injuries that may alter treatment or expected outcome
- Coordination of school plans to support educational needs
- Referrals as needed to pediatric specialists in physical therapy, neurology and related medical disciplines
Who we treat at the Concussion Program
We specialize in the evaluation and treatment of concussion in kids, and we’re an especially popular concussion program for high school athletes. Learn more about concussion and mild traumatic brain injury.
Why choose us for concussion care
Our children’s concussion clinic has a variety of specialists who are trained to provide end-to-end care for athletes who experience concussions. This includes board-certified pediatric experts from emergency medicine, sports medicine, rehabilitation and neuropsychology. We also offer full-time pediatric psychologists, trainers, physical therapists, nurses and support staff, and we’re able to quickly consult with pediatric neurology and neurosurgery when necessary.
We offer a streamlined, yet comprehensive, concussion care approach. Treatment plans are customized to meet each individual patient’s needs. In addition to evaluation and treatment, our brain injury coordinator provides patients, families, coaches and educators guidance on how to make a smooth return to school.
Specialists within our Concussion Program also take part in numerous research projects focused on concussion and brain injury, including:
- Social and physiological effects
- Best recovery methods
- Proper amount of activity and rest
- How to create a healthy environment
Our research is published in many medical and neuropsychological books and journals. We also present our research findings at scientific conferences across Colorado, throughout the country and even internationally. Read our featured concussion news and research articles.
Additionally, through a variety of programs such as Safe Kids, Children’s Colorado and the Concussion Program work to educate communities around the state about how to prevent accidental injuries in children.
Contact the Concussion Program
Some insurance companies require a referral from a primary care provider before appointments can be arranged. Once a referral is in place, most insurance companies will cover specialty care visits for patients with concussions. View more information about insurance plans accepted at Children’s Colorado.
If necessary, we can set up a consult with parents or referring providers prior to the first visit.
For appointments or to get more information about our Concussion Program at Anschutz Medical Campus or South Campus, call 720-777-2806.
For appointments at Outpatient Care at Briargate, Colorado Springs, call 719-305-9060.
Brain injury education coordinator
For additional information on how to make a smooth return to school, contact our brain injury coordinator at RehabEd@childrenscolorado.org.